HELP - Aftermarket Tail Tidy - RH Rear Indicator shorting and causing sparks!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by shrunkenheed, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Hi guys,

This is a new plea for help following the previous thread on 999 Tail Loom Specs 2004 999 with R&G tail tidy.

Situation

Aftermarket tail tidy fitted and RH rear indicator keeps cutting out and taking the front RH with it. It works when isolated with elec' tape and rubber grommets however, when the metal thread of the indicator stalk touches the metal license plate bracket it shorts and takes both Front and rear indicators out. Remedial action taken thus far:

1. Changed the loom on Saturday and soldered the cables IAW the service manual

Pin1 White/Black to LH ind +ve

Pin2 White/green to RH ind +ve
    Pin3 Black - earth to tail light and indicators
    Pin4 Grey/Red to Stop light
    Pin5 Yellow to tail light.

2. The RH rear indicator on the R&G bracket is still causing problems when fully wired up to the bike and is caused when the indicator stalk is mounted to the bracket (metal to metal). If i don't do it up too tight on the bracket it works however, when it shorts it sparks and stops BOTH front and rear indicators working. When i undo it from the bracket both F&R indicators work again fine.

4. As a fool check i cut the earth lead to RH rear indicator and it didn't work and front one was flashing away happily. When i reconnected the earth and it touched the bracket again BOTH F&R stopped working again!

5. The problem is definitely caused by the indicator when mounted as i did a trial with bike ignition on, indicators working just fine and touched the stalk to the bracket and it sparked and bike sounded like it cut power to the battery as the ignition started its boot sequence again. When i mount the indicator to the frame and insulate it with electrical tape and O ring/grommets it works just fine!
    When the tail unit/tidy is hanging free and not bolted to the bike it does not short out at all when the indicator stalk is attached to the bracket, only when the whole unit is bolted into place.

Obviously this is not a situation I want to have to live with...

All connections checked, no reverse polarity, nothing obvious but a huge problem!

I hope this makes sense?

Any advice would be very very much appreciated as i can't resolve it and my hair is beginning to grey ever so slightly.

#1 shrunkenheed, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. I've been trying to tell you that the problem is in the indicator. If it works until you connect it to the mounting then the body of the indicator must be live. I'm not familiar with the R&G indicators but either the earth connection is to the body and the wires are reversed, the live connection is touching the body internally, or possibly the wrong bulb is fitted.
    The easiest fix will be to swap the live and earth wires at the connector. No harm in trying it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information