1200 Help In Spain Anyone!?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Beef, Sep 18, 2022.

1. My disc bolts have dropped out (all bar one) never taken the disc off- never checked them for tightness either… the flailing disc has also meant my caliper mounting eyes have sheared allowing the caliper to dangle free. I’ve a few Km to get to hotel, have cable tied the disc to the wheel so that it doesn’t move & caliper is up by rear light.
    have two nights on the coast near Foz, any locals on here who know a bike shop in the area? (That’ll explain why the DTC was playing up!)

4B4343ED-78B6-4799-AA5F-42B1A9588429.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• WTF WTF x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Holy fuck Batman!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. I’d get on the Spanish lottery tonight if I were you.
    Good luck with getting it sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Worst case, I’ll get more cable ties and ride it as is, let’s see what Ducati Lugo say in the morning!…. In the meantime I’ll be drinking :beer:

• Like Like x 1
  5. That is hard luck and something I've never heard of before. Good luck getting it fixed but failing that I reckon you can ride, carefully, without the rear brake, provided that disc is really secure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bloody hell! Could you not just remove the disc completely for the rest of the trip?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. That's the best route. Find a tyre shop that can undo the axle nut.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I’d need to get the wheel off & the hub out (I think!) which isn’t possible with what’s under the seat

9. I wasn’t being stroppy - it didn’t post the emoji from my phone! :joy:

10. No disc= no speedo & no DVT o_O

11. Poor maintenance. Tut tut. No sympathy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. You are always stroppy

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Would it be possible to install new disc bolts with the wheel in place?
    If so, I’d go that route and leave the caliper off.
    Tie wrapping the disc to the wheel sounds a bit risky as it could fail and then get caught between wheel and hub and lock the wheel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Don’t think a bike shop would release it with the disc cable tied. I’m sure someone round a decently built up area would be able to sort it. The Spanish are normally very good at bike related problems like that. In the meantime try to steer clear of the Guardia Civil or policía local, you’d get the bike impounded for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. B&Q equivalent in Spain is the French outfit, Leroy Merlín that has huge stores in most main cities. They stock a huge selection of bolts and also have Loctite. As @RickyX suggests, bolt it all together, ride home with peace of mind.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  16. With the right dome head bolts I am sure I could get them in, but the caliper eyes have broken off meaning the caliper would have to stay zip tied out the way. I will ring Ducati Lugo first thing and see if they have parts is stock - I’m not going to take the bike there for it not to be fixed in the same day, I’ll take my chance with black zip ties & quiet roads :p

17. You'll be fine. Cable ties rule.

What about lock wire for the racing look?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Have you considered just doing a rolling stoppie all the way back to Blighty?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. If you are not going to bolt the disc back on I would remove it completely.
    Find a friendly tyre shop, take the wheel off and remove the disc.
    Actually... Come to think of it, will the disc come off with the wheel off or is the mounting flange in the way?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information