1299 Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Orchardbike, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Sorry, long story.
    Yesterday I was at the Silverstone track day. Everything fine until the third session and then the DES fault came up in the dash, followed by SCU. Looking online it seems to be a suspension issue. So I ignored it and went out for a 4th session. It happened again and then the fuel light started flashing (it had fuel) and then a battery fault came up. I stopped, checked petrol, it was OK.
    So I decided to call it a day and head home. I had the DEs and SCU faults randomly coming up and then disappearing. After an hour of riding it again came up with battery fault and then the flashing fuel warning light.i stopped in a petrol station, filled up and then the bike wouldn’t start. It looked like the battery was completely dead the dash would only flicker with a display, the. Go blank and the engine wouldn’t crank over. I left it for around 10 minutes and then tried again, the dash lit up fine, the engine turned over and it started straight away. Drove the rest of the way home without and issue!
    Help! Are these errors related? I haven’t done any maintenance on it, I haven’t even washed it or been out in the rain, so can’t see it being water ingress......

2. What year is the bike, I had a 2015 same problem -replace the battery

• Like Like x 1
  3. It’s 2016, but I put a new battery on it around 9 months ago.

4. OK, doing some investigation into this. The connections on the battery (both pos and neg) where loose, I presume they’ve just vibrated loose. Obviously that could cause the latter issue of dead at the petrol station, but could it cause the earlier DES and SCU faults?

also, see pic, melted plastic cover over the positive connection! Has charging caused this? Or is the li/Ion battery produced so much heat when ur I got the bike over?........

991F671E-B1EF-4A3A-BEC8-CAFA919156DB.jpeg

5. i would say yo may have found the source of the issue as i was about to write to check connections and also maybe worth pulling the battery and checking the Negative and also the live cables for damage or loose connection ( my earth was loose on the engine and they gave me some issues as well..
    a poor connections can play havoc with our modern day electronics and can bus systems

6. Thanks Nathanhu, I’ll take it for a spin and see if the problems cleared up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Loose terminal, high resistance = heat

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thanks Chrisw.....I’m not an electrician.....I guess you worked that out!

9. As this is the first hit that came up on Google when searching about 1299 DES and SCU errors thought I'd back up the above - I had the same symptoms as described by OP and it was also simply a loose battery connection. Tightened it up at the roadside and all sorted :upyeah:

10. I had this flash up in Almeria, it went away.

Theres an inertia sensor underneath front fairing that needs to be rubber mounted. Apparently, someone may or may not contradict here, this vibes and causes the fault. Ive since slipped some rubber washers (tap washers) above and below the fixing screws as I had fairing off. Its directly behind the place you put the oem gps. The intertai sensor is between the numbers 10-10

upload_2023-5-22_11-9-47.png
    upload_2023-5-22_11-10-30.png

#10 bootsam, May 22, 2023
    Last edited: May 22, 2023
Do Not Sell My Personal Information