Home Of The Skirts

Discussion in 'Touring' started by freshage, Nov 22, 2023.

1. After decades, I just found out my best mate has never been to my homeland... Scotland.

Does anyone have any recommendations for routes up there? Naturally there are a lot of routes online, but if any suggestions are offered, the better.

Thanks!

2. West coast, north of Ullapool is the best bit :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The crief clover leaf run. Absolutely amazing routes.

4. hunners and hunners. depends on the usual. how long do you have and what speed you want traval at?
    if you were comming from the south, i would be thinking. Adrossan, ferry over to arran, from arran to kintyre and up to oban. from oban to drumnadrochit then up over, the high road.... :p coming out at Beully avoiding inverness then up to ullapool. that's the fast roads.
    maybe if yer looking for a more leisurely pace came back via wester ross.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. West is best.

6. Loch Lomond to Invergarry to Kyle of Lochalsh to Applecross to Ullapool, then west coast edge to Thurso and back via Inverness, Loch Ness and Fort William, stopping at Eilean Donan for Highlander castle pics on way up.

7. If you can, try to get to the beach at Durness (North West tip) Sandwood bay is special too....voted most perfect beach in Europe! Each time I've been it's been blue sky with white sand... amazing. It has it's own microclimate:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thank you all! Great suggestions and plenty for me to choose from. I'm only familiar with east and south, didn't spend much of my youth up north or in the west.

9. For pissing it down… :splat::splat::splat:

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Also there is a little artist's village (I think maybe it is an old repurposed military base) round the corner from Durness :upyeah:

11. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the NC500!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I was in Tain a couple of years back. Which is on the NC500 trail. I wouldn’t bother with it. Too many dawdling swivel heads in their big wobbly camper vans. Whenever I got stuck behind one, which is inevitable if you decide to go anywhere, I kept day dreaming about bazooka’s, RPG’s and heavy machine guns. Get the picture??

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. wester ross is part of the NC500.

14. And also part of Game of Thrones :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. if you can bare 44teeth...they just posted this

Durness featured right at the start. :upyeah:

16. Absolutely,did the NC 500 last year on my XDiavel Applecross is a must if only for the ride there, book a table if you intend to eat in Ullapool,there was not one single table available when we were there, oh and take your waterproofs.......the road along loch ness is a great ride as well,enjoy ☔☔

17. A 93 through the Cairngorms then A939 northbound to Nairn via Grantown-on-Spey. Decent whisky detour if you fancy it (Glenlivet, Tomintoul, Glenfiddich, Knockando and more).

Best overall in Scotland :A 816 south of Oban to Lochgilphead, then A83 either up to Inveraray or down to Campbeltown.
    @finm knows what I'm talking about.

• Like Like x 1
  18. yip, i think the Oban to lochilphead road is thee premier road in Scotland. it covers all the bases. fast sweepers, good road surface. tho stunning scenery it's off the tourist trail and not heavily policed. from Arrochar all the way down to Campbelltown it's pretty damn good too. as is oban to fortbill if you follow the coast.
    Fortbill, Spean bridge, Aviemore, Granton on spay overthe cairngorms to ballotter is also v,good. so many choices.
    i'm a lil bored of the kintyre area now and find loch Lomond, glencow and lochness a bit of a durge these days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information