Horrid Noise From Clutch

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by 900streetfighter, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Every so often when I release the clutch theres a delay with a loud whirring noise then a bang as the clutch engages and the bike leaps forward. The noise gives me a warning so I can pull the lever in and feed it out again a bit slower. Then its fine for 20-30 launches, just normal pull aways. I suspect notched basket holding the plates back but the basket looks reasonable. 33,000 mile 999 on 2nd set of plates.
    Anyone else had this problem? I've ridden with knackered ducati clutches for 20yrs and never had this.
    Cheers, Keith. image.jpg

2. Sounds like notches on basket is a good guess to me although I wouldn't expect issues based on your pic. It's worn but I've definitely seen worse with no catching.
    Have you changed anything recently? Could be pressure plate related?

3. Nothing altered but I did have a problem with pushrod getting marked up all along it a month ago and same intermitent problem using clutch. Couldn't find anything wrong then.

4. wonder if the rod is getting stuck out when engaged?

5. Dont think so. Lever feels normal. If rod was stuck lever would be light.
    I have dressed the basket fingers lightly and taken off the slight burr on the frictions.

6. Ive seen a lot worse than your basket, but it does sound like a catchy plate.

7. Has anyone had this problem?
    I havent heard of it before.

8. not had the exact symptoms Keith but remember drum notching can cause catching just as much as the basket and the two worn together is worst clutch I can think of. Also, how close is your 'last plate' to end of drum? - can see a 'step' a few plates in on all the drum segment outer faces that look unusual. If your trimming doesn't cure it, see if you can stop bike and watch the clutch action while pulling lever in next time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information