848 How Many Miles Before Rebuild

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Festa, Sep 13, 2023.

1. I know this isn't an exact science but on average what sort of millage are people getting on an 848 thats well maintained and not thrashed/tracked before needing a rebuild due to engine failure..

#1 Festa, Sep 13, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  2. I think you will find that most people's rebuilds occur after a blow up. The rest keep riding
    A better question might be how many miles have you done on your bike and is it running OK
    I would suspect not many have done many miles even taking into account the age of the bikes now
    A lot of people still think Ducati's are fragile or higher mileage will affect the price when they want to sell it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. my 748 has 90,000 km on it and doesn't burn oil or feel worn out at all

• Like Like x 6
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. My best mate's 996 reached 50,000 miles on a trip to Germany earlier this year. Still running well and no significant issues to report.

• Like Like x 3
  5. It depends which 848… some bikes had issues with end float on the crank meaning main bearing failures prematurely. A rebuild tbh isn’t a standard thing providing you use good oil and preventative maintenance. But watch out for a banging/knocking bottom end as that will be the tell.

from what I’ve seen over the years, some bikes with that issue failed within months of being sold, others after some hard use. Loads were fine, I’ve had 2x 848 Evo’s and never had issues

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thanks mines a early 2011 848 evo

7. I’m sure there is shorter route to Germany but when you like to ride it’s nice to take the longer route.:confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Watching the Bol d'or yesterday, thats a pretty good test of any engine :)

9. I think there have been a fair few 848 and 1098/1198 with similar early engine failure problems, don't know if related to quality control, cost-cutting or simply trying too hard to make them faster & lighter?

FWIW my 916 has 51k miles on it, it did need a head gasket replacing fairly early on the rear cylinder due to a coolant leak and it has been apart, at the top-end for some tuning but the bottom-end is still original with no apparent problems, can't say the same for my Monster though...

10. Thanks my 848 evo is on 12000 miles now so hopefully its missed any early failures, im doing 3-4000 miles a year on road only so was wondering if theres a point in time when its worth me having the engine stripped and internals checked/replaced rather than waiting for it to fail possibly causing more damage. I don't ride particularly hard and its correctly maintained...

11. 5 miles.
    Do I win a prize?

12. Do these suffer with the main bearing issue....in that when my hyper seized a few years ago - and then Ducati John rebuilt it he did say at the time [paraphrasing] - "you can use the existing bearings which are the newer type but they are prone to failure..." so i opted to go for the older style of bearing (but a brand new part) which apparently are much more reliable....mines only done a few thousand since (about 16k now) but all fine.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information