Desert Sled How To Reset The Service Indicator On The Scrambler For Free (almost)

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by stevetwood, Aug 10, 2022.

1. At last, I have reset my Service Indicator for another 7500 miles on my 2017 Scrambler Desert Sled using the FREE not for commercial use JPDiag MelcoDiag Desmo light reset software tool.

I was using a very old Win 7 laptop.

1. Buy the correct cable(s), search eBay for an "ELM 327 FTDI cable and 4 pin Ducati cable" and buy both cables as a package for around £33. It has to be ELM chipset, don't get anything else. (I thought I already had the correct FTDI-OBD2 cable - I didn't!)
    2. Google "VCP drivers FTDI" and download the Virtual Com Port drivers file and install them on the PC before you plug in the USB FTDI ELM 327 cable you just bought. You also need ELM327 v1.5 software driver - it might come with the cable on a disk, otherwise download and install it on the PC
    3. Using Windows Device Manager check or set your COM port listed to 38400 bps.
    4. Download JPDiag MelcoDiag software from here
    5. Start MelcoDiag - set MelcoDiag button on the opening screen to M3C
    6. Follow the instructions to get a FREE licence - a key file is sent to you as an email attachment within a couple of hours and you load the key into the MelcoDiag folder and restart MelcoDiag. The screen will tell you that an email has been sent to gift you a FREE license (it arrives as a lic.cle file which is pertinent to your VIN number and ECU code)
    7. Copy the lic.cle file into the same folder as the MelcoDiag software.
    8. Plug in the USB FTDI OBD2 cable to the PC, remove the scrambler seat, remove the plastic battery cover with the one 4mm Allen bolt. Then locate the 4 pin diagnostics plug under the plastic battery cover next to the USB port. It is a black cable with a connector on the end. lift the plastic tab on the connector to remove the plastic cap and plug the second Ducati cable into the OBD2 cable and into the now exposed Ducati 4 pin diagnostics plug on the bike.
    9. Start MelcoDiag once you have the licence key (lic.cle) file loaded into the same file directory as the MelcoDiag folder
    10. Turn on the bike ignition and then press Connect on the MelcoDiag Home tab. The lights on the connect button should go green on the MelcoDiag screen under the Connect button and all five lights on the cable should flash at some point.
    11. If you get a error message saying ELM software not detected, you have bought the wrong cable - start again on eBay. (I should know, I did this first of all)
    12. If everything is green on the screen under the Connect button, set MelcoDiag on the opening screen to M3C
    13. Open the Reset Tab on MelcoDiag and click the Desmo service reset button once. Wait for the corresponding 'ding' sound (up to 5 seconds later) and then turn the bike ignition off.
    14. Wait 15 seconds and turn on the bike ignition. Hey presto, the service indicator is now set to another 7500 miles. Yippeeee!
    15. Make a donation to the JPDiag PayPal address to show your appreciation for all his hard work and for saving you a small fortune for not having to visit the Ducati dealer to reset the service mileage after a simple oil and filter change.

Many thanks to JP for building the capability and for saving me £300 ($400) for having to go to the dealer to reset the service light

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Used this to reset the service light on my MTS 1200 (2011) but gather that only works for 2011 and earlier models? JP has done a great job but must have a hell of a time dealing with requests!

3. I confirm using latest Melco managed to reset desmo service Today - saved money and happy to do all by myself ! - of course Scrambler was the patient..

Thanks JP250 i know it was long but You have made it...

#3 gabik, Feb 12, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
Do Not Sell My Personal Information