I suspect the fuel pump relay.....

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by TT600, Aug 23, 2012.

1. 1997 916. Been in the garage a while, months really. Checked it over -usual bits and pieces- and started fine , ran well and up to temperature .

Stopped it, to have another look around , all looked ok, , went to start it. Fuel pump does not prime, rev counter needle sweeps round dial and also twitches a bit, but no starty, no turnover and no Usual priming noises.

Lift seat and the two large relays seem to be doing some high speed rattling inside when starter button pressed. Took both off and spade connections are clean and tidy .

Anyone agree the relays seem suspect?.

Bike not been used much since last year, sadly, albeit kept in dry garage and regularly charged on optimated! And it did start quire nicely tonight. Could the act of starting be the final blow to a/the relays?

Tt

2. If it's not turning over it must be more than just the fuel pump relay.

3. Hmm. It's not turning over at all, the dash neutral light on the dash does dim when I press the starter. I guess I was attracted the the unusual noises the two under set relays were making. I may need to thinK/look further afield......

4. The rev counter needle sweeping/twitchy indicates low power, could be a bad connection
    or low battery.

brian.

5. Thanks Brian, having been made to think a bit by birdie, and as I ws typing my last I was starting to think a bit of 'back to basics' -recheck the simple electrics might be time all spent. your astute comments re affirm that. Thanks for that.

6. Sounds like a bad battery - my 916 had a slightly low battery recently and wouldn't start despite turning over on the starter.

But check the wiring to the fuel pump relay fuse as mine melted...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information