Ignition Or Immobiliser?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Joe748, Nov 14, 2019.

1. So,
    our story starts with trying to diagnose a well known electrical problem on a 748, that being the 3 wire connector from stator to reg/rec was causing charging issues. I removed slightly cooked connector and soldered the wires intending to check reading across the battery terminals when running only now the bike won't start. The bike has a datatool fitted which as far as I can tell is reacting as though it is not receiving the ignition on signal to allow starter motor to operate. The fuel pump operates with ignition on but the alarm in behaving strangley. won't go off whatever I do but still flashes and beeps as though it is arming/disarming yet still seems to be immobilising the bike. I've checked all fuses and all good so not sure where I go from here.

2. Best to remove the alarm they are nothing but trouble, especially once the internal battery starts to fail. The alarm will normally break 2 circuits, the fuel pump relay so no pump and no sparks, and the starter circuit.

3. If I trusted myself to do it right it would have been out years ago Spanners I can do but electronics are in the realm of witchcraft as far as I can tell.
    Oh important detail I missed, the ignition was in the on position when the battery was removed, what would /could that have damaged?

4. On the 748 probably nothing. If you decide to try to remove the alarm you will get plenty guidance here. Basically, if a wire is teed to another wire you can cut it. If it breaks a loom wire you need to reconnect that wire after cutting out alarm wires.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information