Impact Driver For Wheel Nuts

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by freshage, Sep 22, 2023.

1. I'm looking for a tool that can not only easily remove but also torque up to a decent spec. Any suggestions?

2. The small selection of DIY tools look to be torque limited to 80 or 90Nm and the in-line torque limiters available are no bigger than 3/8” drive which is no good for the torque you need. I don’t use an impact driver to tighten, only a good quality torque wrench. There is a big range of mains power and battery impact drivers on the market, so long as they do 600+ Nm they are all much of a muchness. I’m a DeWalt man, not cheap but well up to the job. Andy

3. +1 using an impact driver to undo and a torque wrench to tighten up
    +1 on DeWalt

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lidl ..... now in stock again.get the mains corded one ...(not battery one) ...I got one a few years back .... rear hub and wheel nuts straight off ....no messing. Also engine sprocket same .....

Can't remember if they're £49 or £39 ...

If it don't work...then just take it back for refund. I only use for undoing not tightening...... they are limited to 100nm tightening anyway.

500nm undoing torque ...

3 years warranty iirc ....

If you search on here ....rear wheel nut or similar ...you'll get a good few recommendations..... including the Clarke corded gun from machine mart and other places. Similar to this Lidl one.

#4 Gerr, Sep 22, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. PXL_20230922_145703610.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. I’d not want to torque up using an impact driver. Far more control with a torque wrench, even on Ducati Rear wheel nuts. Mains-powered Clarke for undoing those reluctant ones.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Totally agree

8. Snap! bought one of these years ago and I only use it for the engine sprocket nut on the Raptor. It takes longer to take it out the box & plug it in than it does to whip the nut off. Worth every penny.

Don't try it with with hex bolts unless you have a really tight fitting hex key cus it might round the inside... don't ask how I know that :(

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sometimes I think ....come on just put up a fight .....!
    :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yup! I tried it on a hex socket sump plug, and it simply rounded off the hole, (fortunately I was able to chisel-chase the protruding plug out)

11. +++1 on DeWalt - absolutely top spec for the money and yes they work every single time. As the saying goes, "you pays yer money, you makes yer choice"
    Unequivocally, you DO get what you pay for.........

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Clarke do a decent one, not cordless though so need a socket close by

13. But thinking about it a little more rattle guns aren't really suitable for seized nuts... because there's no torque slip. It just hammers away until something gives.

Better the usual heat, fluids, breaker bar, time & patience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thanks for the suggestions! And indeed, final torque up always done with a torque wrench. I just wanted something that will put some torque back into the initial tightening.

15. Not actually in Lidl , but this seems like as good a place as any to post about impact drivers .....
    ..... usually a topic of interest on here ..... :)

Screwfix .... Black Friday Sale

They are offering both DeWalt and Bosch cordless at "less than half-price" ..... whatever that means :p

I could be wrong , but I think Bosch have two distinct tool ranges , with the "home" versions being green ,
    but a different colour for the "Pro" tools ?

16. Reassuringly expensive instead of “you must be joking” :D Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. I called Screwfix. Thought it was a dating site….

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. That’s bad …… even for you :joy: Andy

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Too true !

The technical specs and written descriptions only tell one side of the story .
    It's much harder to find out what a tool will actually be like in long-term use ,
    especially when models seem to change every year !

Is it still good after many years in a busy workshop ? ..... or is it going to be a FIAT ?

[ F**ked In About Two years ...... :eek: ]

• Like Like x 1
  20. I got a Machine Mart, Clarke. It has to be said that he build quality is not the best but it doesn't get a lot of use. I think it's rated to around 700Nm so well up to the job.

I use a torque bar to tighten it up again. My technique for tightening is to grip a wheel spoke with my left hand and heave on the torque bar with my right until it clicks or I pass out. It's a bit hard on my left hand and wrist, I wear a wrist brace when I'm doing it. If there is a better technique I'd love to hear about it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information