Classic Indicator Problem

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Derek, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Although this issue is affecting my Classic 800 it could happen to any of the other models.

I've had my 2015 Classic since new and it has given me no trouble in seven years of ownership and near 14,000 miles. I have LED indicator lamps installed for the last 6 years with no problems at all, but I noticed yesterday that the front RH indicator wasn't working. I expected that it was probably a faulty connection or possibly a duff LED unit. However, on checking it I found nothing wrong with the LED bulb nor any of the connections in the indicator itself and in fact the LED bulb was flashing very dimly, but so dim that it was barely noticeable. Measuring across the 2 wires to the indicator I was seeing only 0.19V!
    I lifted the tank to get at the connectors to loom. I measured continuity in both wires between the connector and the indicator unit. But again only measured 0.19V across the 2 terminals on the loom side connector. This is bad news!
    The indicators are driven directly from the dash with separate outputs for R/F, LF, R/R and R/L indicators. I unplugged the dash from its multipin connector hoping that I might see some oxidation on any of the pins but they were nice and clean and after putting it back there was no difference.
    So it looks like the only real fix is a new dash. A replacement dash is £678 + fitting! To fix and indicator! :mad:
    My first approach will be to parallel the RH front circuit to the RH rear and hope that the rear circuit is happy with 2 LED bulbs connected to it.
    If that doesn't work I might try using a solid state relay to fire the front indicator in unison with the rear one.
    Last gasp solution will be to replace all the indicator wiring with a conventional set up using a flasher relay but that will probably entail using a separate indicator switch which I'll be loath to do.

I'd appreciate any thoughts about this.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Thanks Chris. I hope to continue using the bike until the winter sets in, usually late October here. So I will try paralleling the front indicator with the rear for now. I know that the dash panel on the Scramblers can be dismantled so repair is a possible. A guy in the US has shown that the immobiliser section can be transferred from a broken dash to a 2nd hand replacement. So all is not lost.

3. By connecting the 'live' terminal of the rear indicator to its corresponding terminal of the front indicator I've established that the dash will drive 2 LED units in parallel from the rear indicator output. I'm now working on a more permanent connection from the loom connection of the rear indicator to the connector for the front indicator under the tank. Why the hell could they not have used a conventional system with a flasher unit? Easy and and cheap to fix if it does go wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Slightly off-topic ...... but something alien seems to have polluted the minds of designers , right across
    the entire vehicle manufacturing industry , possibly starting with the introduction of CAN-bus , by Bosch .

The old tried-and-trusted idea of ..... " If it ain't broken , don't fix it " appeared to evaporate , and got replaced by
    " what can we dick about with , to save the horrific expense of a little bit more copper wire ? "

Just a personal opinion of course ...... not wanting to start an argument here !
    ;)

[​IMG]

#5 oldtech, Aug 11, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sorted! I guess I was too quick to jump to conclusions. The trouble was with the indicator cable connecting it to the loom. I have a Dart windscreen fitted and had it off recently when I was changing a headlight bulb, although with hindsight I found I didn't need to remove it. The screen is mounted to 2 brackets which are held by the indicator fixing screws. There is a slot in the brackets to allow the indicator wire to be slid in, there is a similar slot in the bike's fitting, although they are at a different angle and the screw has a nut at the back that is almost impossible to get at making the fitting quite difficult and fiddly. Somehow I had managed to pinch the indicator wire so that the live conductor was making contact with the headlamp bracket, shorting it out.
    Fixed the cable and put it back together making sure nothing was nipped and all the indicators are working fine again.
    I'm glad that was easy and cheap. :)

• Like Like x 8
Do Not Sell My Personal Information