Indicators not working - no power to relay

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by jammy_basturd, Jun 7, 2013.

1. So the story goes, I book my MOT for today and almost immediately my indicators die. I knew my front left had been dodgy for a couple of days and when I took it apart both wires just fell away from the bulb holder.

Not having time to go out and get replacements I tried to resolder the wires back on. Something went wrong as when I reconnected them it sounded like something blew and now I'm left with no indicators at all. Nothing on the switch in either direction.

It's not the fuse, I've still got all my other lights and everything else that runs through that fuse.

I've stuck a multimeter on each pin of the relay and there is nothing. So has the switch gone?

2. Jammy, did you get this sorted?

3. Not yet. I've been busy the last couple of days but I plan to whip the switch off the handlebars tomorrow.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

4. Jammy, is it a pre 99 model? (for circuit diag)

5. Jammy no matter, its probably the relay but could be something else. firstly have you checked the suspect indicator assembly is not shorting? Assuming it is not uou can check the relay easily enough by doing the following. Pull the indicator relay off and look at the bottom. There are two pins marked 49+ (supply) and 49a (load to the indicator switch and lights). You need to identify the two wires that feed those pins in the connector, they should have a light blue and a purple wire to them. Get a paper clip and push it into the plug contacts bridging between the two wires mentioned, this will bypass the flasher unit. Turn the ignition on and switch the indicator on at the handle bar switch, 1st on the side that worked before and then on the side that you had the issue with. If the circuit is good both front and rear indicators will come on and stay on on the side you select. If nothing happens you should have either blown the fuse or the relay has seized. If none of this works and you get no indicators lighting at all post back.

6. Thanks very much, it's really appreciated.

The brief checks I've done so far were to remove the offending indicator (including bulb holder). Then with the relay connected (and removed), checked with a multimeter for power going to each pin of the relay (or holder) - both with the ignition on and with the indicator switched. Couldn't get power to any of the pins on the relay.

Definitely not the fuse as I have all other lights and components working that go through that 15A fuse.

It's a '98.

7. If there's no power at the flasher unit, it's not the switch. Assuming you haven't got some spangly modern bike with canbus. Circuit for indicators is battery-fusebox-flasher unit-switch-bulbs-earth, flasher unit also has a third pin which goes to earth.

8. Jammy I thought fuse was a 7.5A one (#4 unless my diagram is for the wrong MY), it does indicators, parking lights and idiot lights

9. Mystery solved, it was the fuse! The confusion was caused by the fuse box cover showing the indicator fuse as the 3rd one down (though it is listed as a 7.5A fuse).

$(KGrHqJ,!k4FE)-kPG5NBRNCDSuVM!~~60_35.JPG
    (Not my actual one)

So now I've replaced that fuse with one of the spares I've got my indicators back (well, three of them). Just need to either go and find replacement incandescent front indicators, or an LED flasher unit and LED rear indicators...

$(KGrHqJ,!k4FE)-kPG5NBRNCDSuVM!~~60_35.JPG

Do Not Sell My Personal Information