Insurance - Why Is So Hard?

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Twin4me, Jul 31, 2024.

1. Just been having issues with my insurance for my V4 Multistrada.

BeMoto have been bugging me for a few weeks so I asked for a quote - £707!

I did a check on MCN and got offered the following
    Ducati - £442
    Bennetts - £350

My Renewal from Ducati insurance came through - £473, hmmm

Went to the Bennetts quote and filled in a few more bits they asked for such as previous bike owned and it jumped to £415?
    Went back into the quote and removed pillion cover, added in my IAM Membership and bike test and it jumped to £456!
    So it seems being in the IAM makes you more of a risk...

Went back in and removed this and previous bike owned and now the quote is £494 WTF!!!
    Went in again and added my last Multistrada back in and it's back down to £415

Time to hit the phones I think

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. So apparently the Ducati MCN quote didn't include the NCD protection

3. Just looking back
    2021 - £198
    2022 - £180
    2023 - £180
    2024 I swapped the 1260 to the V4 halfway through the year so with the admin fee it was £472

Bit of a jump in costs for owning a V4 as well as inflation.

4. My girlfriend’s daughter had her insurance on her vRS cancelled because (they say) she didn’t declare the supplying dealer’s name sticker that was attached to the boot lid. The broker then tried to insist the standard vRS 18” alloy wheels and boot spoiler were aftermarket. Strange how their tune changed when a man (me) took over the discussion. I have complained to the Insurance Ombudsman, not expecting to get far but felt something needed to be said. Andy

• Like Like x 6

5. I would say it jumped when taking pillion cover off. If you have a pillion your more likely to be sensible and careful

• Like Like x 3
  6. You pay more for pillion cover as a rule, due to their possible injuries also being covered by your policy. Technically the pillion can sue the rider.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. In my experience adding pillion increases the premium by an upper limit of £40.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. It is worth knowing that insurers, or at least some, check for 'gaming' the system and if you keep amending PCS online quote requests you may get classed as a bad actor. If you use different name structures to look like a different person it gets worse. I have always used the phone for that very reason.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Looks like I'm about to start the same routine; Bennetts have gone from £299 to £435 with no change in circumstances.

10. Motorcycle passenger liability insurance cover was made compulsory in the early 1970s, when did it become a choice? I would really like to know!

11. We had a memo today, which was industry driven, that called out criminal gangs in London and other cities making fraudulent accident claims on bikes and it’s 100’s of % up from two years ago. Hence everyone’s price has increased.

12. For years. I opt out these days.

13. It shouldn't be this way every very short twelve months for renewal but first and foremost they're a business, it's all about the redistribution of wealth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Logic would suggest if they know they are fraudulent claims, they aren't paying out on them and therefore they should have no effect on premiums...?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I’d hate to make a claim these days, change the oil plug and your insurance would be void.

16. Not that simple. Or yes, they’d be declined. It’s not as easy as the likes of 44T suggest to reject a claim. Especially a 3rd party claim

17. Quote
    Epidemic of “crash for cash” induced motorcycle collisions increasing across LONDON, with organised crime network setting their sights on BRISTOL and other major cities.

These dangerous fraudsters are driving head-first into unsuspecting motorists, leaving countless victims terrified and insurers facing millions of pounds in bogus claims,' said INSURANCE FRAUD BUREAU (IFB's) director, Ursula Jallow.

18. I'm struggling to understand how these people are driving head first (head on?) into other motorists and making successful claims; can you help me out here?

#18 GrumpyGolfer, Aug 1, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2024
  19. My insurance went down a third this year although it was fucking astronomical in the first place.

IMG_8729.png

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mine is around £140 for renewal down from £160 last year, on a 700cc single.:no_mouth:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information