Is It All Personal Preference?

Discussion in 'Suspension help' started by ImAGoose, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Had my 2011 Monster 796 for 7 years now, finally in a position to upgrade my suspension. (Stock Showa fork and stock shock)

I think I have reached a point of decision making having done some research.

The Maxton option:
    SD25 cartridges and the matching NR4 shock. Slightly more expensive but made in the U.K. and will get manufacturer support.

The meal piece option:
    Andreani cartridges and a Nitron R1 shock. Seems to be well supported by race team bike shops. Potentially a little cheaper.

I’d consider K-Tech but they don’t seem to offer a cartridge for my bike anymore.

Now there’s plenty of opinion on every forum out there, is this really a case of choose one or the other, or is one of these choices particularly worse than the other?

I though about spring upgrades, but the forks are horrible and I think that’s being nice, they feel like butter on the road and like they have no response on roundabouts. Cartridges feel the only way to resolve the issues in my own head.

Thank You.

2. You won't go far wrong with Maxton mate

Is ohlins an option??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I wasn’t even aware ohlins made cartridges, just had a looks and found the FKR set which I assume would be compatible but they cost double the price of Maxton.
    Maxton cartridge kit = 735 + VAT
    Ohlins FKR = 2000?

If anyone knows which ohlins forks would be compatible or even has a set that would work on my bike I’d be up for considering it. But I wouldn’t want to be paying more than a grand given that’s what it will likely end up costing to have Maxton installed and the forks serviced at the same time.

4. The Maxton stuff is very good and as you mentioned they are "local" so aftersales support should be better! You could look out for a set of forks and rear shock from a Monster 1100 S, I have this set up ready to fit to my Monster S2R with matching wheels when I can get round to it. I doubt it would be any better than the Maxton set up but does have the added "bling" factor and would look like a factory option!

5. Ohlins, Maxton & Nitron are the top well known and respected suppliers & there's good reasons for that. They are also priced in that order.

I don't buy Ohlins because they aren't twice as good as the others -which they would have to be to justify their prices.

I am happy to mix Maxton and Nitron on the same bike. I have done before and currently I've both on my Monster. That said I'm not a track hound racer so maybe if you are, you should also get other opinions. The quality of workmanship from both companies is superb, and the bike is totally different to ride now than when it left Italy.

I have a Maxton rear for my VFR project. I bought it used for a very good price. Remember if you are buying used rear shocks the service costs and spring (for your weight) is £260 for Maxton and £200 for Nitron.

Rich at Maxton is great to deal with, they bend over backwards to help and answer questions. Nitron are friendly and helpful too but its not the same. Though Nitron purchase and service costs are less so its a balance maybe?

Shops speak well of Adreani and I expect their gear is good too. But maybe the shops get a great margin from Adreani which colours their judgement a little. I've no personal experience of them,

I needed a mounting bracket for an Ohlins steering damper once and Ohlins were out. I called Kais (Andy White) who said they could supply one. Six weeks later they finally tell me its £120 plus delivery (6 years ago). I'm irritated by the delay, surprised at the cost but imagine this bracket is a super NASA style item and pay. An ordinary alloy bracket arrives, its the wrong diameter for the trellis frame and is promptly returned. I have no intention of dealing with them again ever.

BTW I the first ride on my Monster with the Nitron shock was a revelation. Enjoy, its going to be better than you expect.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. The Ohlins forks and shock on my 851 all have Maxton internals and springs.
    They are now far better than the OEM Ohlins ever were.
    I've tried Ohilns, K-tech, Race Tech, Maxton and a few others over the years and...
    Maxton are now (and have been for many years) my go to for suspension, all three of my Ducati's have Maxton modified forks.

Steve R

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Ohlins for show. ;) Cheapest way would probably check if any monster S forks fit or other standard for S ohlins and straight swap.
    Nothing wrong with Maxton or nitron. Personally I like to match front snd rear. But I like matching collar and cuffs today ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for the comments, I'll have a chat with Maxton and see what I can work out with them, they aren't all that close to me though.

Had a very reasonable quote from JHS to provide and fit Andreani cartridges.

9. Never heard of those cartridges. Imho stick with tried and tested - ktech, ohlins, Maxton, nitron.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Is that JHS in Keynsham? I've been meaning to pop over there to chat about Andreani internals.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Certainly is, the guys there were great when talking to, initially went to them asking about getting my engine re-painted/powder coated, they gave me a bit of a reality check with the price to strip down and rebuild the bike. But also made me realise I need to be happy with the performance of the bike first before making it nice and shiny again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Andreani cartridges are great. Had them on a Gen1 Diavel and 796 monster . Transformed the ride

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information