Lake Como In September

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Andy Bishop, Jul 8, 2023.

1. Hello everyone!
    We’ve just been asked by our friends if we fancy running down to lake Como in September this year.
    We’ve accepted and I’m so excited it’s unreal as it will be our first motorcycle adventure abroad.
    We aim to take 3 days to get down to lake Como via the euro tunnel, and staying around 4 days.
    We would like if possible to do it on scenic roads and with little or no toll roads.
    I’m crap at organising routes so any advise on roads and stops would be great.
    Ideally I’d like a full internary including roads if someone would kindly share it with me.

2. Across to Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland would be my choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Have popped this into touring
    We like coming along on trips :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yep we stayed the a few years ago......excellent views lakeside rooms and lovely having breakfast in the morning looking at the lake. Rooms are plain and simple but have everything you need. Not sure how much parking there was we always parked roadside as it was a hire car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. My thoughts would be to head East out of France to be honest, it's a long slog until you get to some decent roads, Luxembourg, Switzerland look like the best options (as has been said).

Como is lovely, no idea where I stayed it's been that long but I stayed at a tiny hotel on the North side of the lake it was very basic, but the owner had one of the best restaurants on Como opposite overlooking the lake. Apparently George Clooney had eaten there a few days before, my wife wasn't too happy we'd missed him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Plenty off off raod parking there. Marco, the owner is a true Moto Guzzi fan but had an accident a few years ago and was bike less when we stayed last year.

• Like Like x 2
  7. #8 johnny, Jul 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Working out routes for trips can be quite boring and time consuming, so I just look at the total distance I need to travel, divide it into the number of days, then stick 'adventurous route' into the Garmin and let it do its thing.

If there's specific places you want to go en route, you can put them in there, if not, just do that and use one of the well knows websites to book accommodation each night.

9. Thanks .. that’s something else I need to invest in now .. A sat Nav

• Like Like x 1
  10. If you are going via Switzerland , Andermatt is central to a lot of alpine passes.
    Zermatt at base of matterhorn worth a visit, and take simplon pass into Italy.
    Sounds like a great trip.
    Enjoy:upyeah:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. You could do worse than getting Simon’s excellent touring guides for inspiration, or he will even create custom gpx routes for you if you want that.

https://www.simonweir.co.uk/

Do Not Sell My Personal Information