749 Landed My First 749.......

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by peter walker, Apr 1, 2024.

1. ok, so i have pulled the trigger and got my first 749.I did everything wrong and it might bite me in the ass as i learn more about t he 749.in red 2006 with 18K on its back ,started on the button,temps ok,clutch seemed lound but went quieter when activated.couldnt test drive due to weather but the guy seemed ok.best done just under 2 years ago so on the list to do.
    So silly questions time,
    1) red paint code as some marks on plastics and frame
    2) black swing arm paint code as some minor chips
    3) engine silver paint code as lifted at the back near shock
    4)tyre pressures for road use
    5) any other things i should check for,with it being 2006 i was hoping some niggles would have been improved during manufacture
    6) pilot sport 3 tyres are they ok for normal road,i am not the best rider believe me,just want something thats safe
    7) regarding clutch noise ,i know its dry and can be noisy and its the cover on it as standard, but its louder than the 858 i checked yesterday,what could it be?
    pics of the girl,if you see anything wrong please let me know
    [​IMG]
    IMG_5851.jpg

• Love You Love You x 1
  2. Nice one! Looks fairly tidy.
    2) Swingarm appears to be in pretty good nick paint wise
    3) Paint lifting on engine in that area is very typical
    4) 32f, 34r
    7) 848 has a wet clutch so not as noisy

Brake discs don’t appear to be standard.

#2 RickyX, Apr 1, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
  3. Clutch noise was about exhaust noise on tick over ??

4. :upyeah:With dustbins and a Mini in that photograph, you'll be teacher's pet. aka @Ducbird

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Too right :D

• Like Like x 2
  6. Levers on the list of to do’s
    With regards the clutch noise and Iunderstand it’s a prickly subject , but I would like it to be quieter, is there a way of doing this? so even a numpty like me could maybe do it ,I will search/check
    you tube

7. Nice one Peter. Any info on when the valve clearances were last checked?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Going to read the service stuff tonight , like I mentioned earlier , I probably did everything wrong when buying a duke
    The service book is stamped but not fully
    When funds recover I will check belts and take it for valves checking

9. Nice! - does look tidy for that mileage, aftermarket Dzus fasteners on fairings but nothing wrong with that as long as they work propah.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Well done looks great and even better if you got it for less than 3k

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Regards the clutch. The ‘quietest’ option is the alloy plates in the sheel basket, rather than steel on steel, as those when they start to wear can get noisy

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sev both black and 1 red key with all cards came with it . The clutch noise can wait I will give a proper look over first just to make sure I haven’t something obvious, just familiarise myself with the 749
    Will have see if there are any Yorkshire members .tomorrow’s job all Fluids checked to see if all ok and a bit more cleaning

• Like Like x 1
  13. Unfortunately not less that 3k , I think the cheapest out there atm are the 2850 tri colour bike on eBay and Richard’s 3750 on here,
    It was a little more but I felt to get a later bike and I always really wanted the red frame

14. Regarding fuel pump relays and voltage rectifiers , are they as bad on the later models of 749 ? What goes on the relay , is it the relay coil or contacts? Can I tell if I have a better voltage regulator, if so how ?

15. Relays just fail. They are cheap. Have a stock of them just in case. Best thing to do is to relocate it to the top of the battery housing - there’s even a small rubber grommet already there as if it was meant to be there in the first place!
    Regulator - you would be looking for a MOSFET type - can’t remember the number right now. Check your voltage at around 2000rpm across battery - it should be 14.2V or thereabouts.
    Belts - I run mine to 3 years without a problem but don’t do high miles.

Edit: Shindengen FH020AA MOSFET regulator plus Triumph leads

Post #63 https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threa...-like-it-would-soon.38046/page-4#post-1349657

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Will search on here for the mod to move the electrical stuff higher

17. Hi Peter.
    Firstly. Well done on the purchase! A future classic!
    Secondly. Bins (check), mini (check), Sneaky lotus in edge of frame, nice!
    Yorkshire and cobbles. Lovely!
    Just missing the pigeons and whippets.
    Best of luck with the new toy! And feel free to pump us long term 749 owners for info. Always happy to help.
    Monkey

• Like Like x 2
  18. Will do cheers

19. Very useful thread, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information