Lift Bench Wheel Chocks

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Nasher, May 16, 2021.

1. My lift table is one of the best tools I've ever purchased and I really don't know how I did without it before, but it has one annoyance.

The wheel chock is this style:
    P5160001.JPG

So I open it right out, wheel the bike on and put it on it's side stand.
    Then I put the bike on a rear paddock stand to get it upright, clamp up the front wheel and strap the bike down when I think I need to.
    P5160003.JPG

But then if I want to lift the front end neither of my front stands which fit under the headstock will work with the front chock in place as it's too wide.
    So I have to loosen it off, unbolt it, and slide it out from under the wheel before using a front stand.

Does anyone use any other type of chock or clamp that allows a front stand to get in there?
    Ideally I'd like to roll the bike into a front wheel chock without using the sidestand etc.

These types WON'T work as again they are too wide:
    Chock 3.JPG
    Chock 4.JPG

So I'm wondering if anyone uses anything like these:
    Chock 1.JPG

Chock 2.JPG

But of course I do want to be able to get a front stand in and lift the front wheel up.
    I don't mind unbolting the chock and removing it if needed after the wheel is lifted, as that will be a lot easier than what I'm doing at the moment.

Thanks

Nasher

2. I need to search but I use the ideal solution for that job. Give me a bit of time. Andy

3. That looks interesting, and would work really well for what I want to do.

Many Thanks.

4. Curious as to why you feel the need to have any chock fitted if using stands.
    I have the same clamp as you for my home lift and have never ever used it. Have spannered at a couple of shops and again have never had occasion to need one.

5. The one fitted is pretty useless as you suggest, and I only use it as it's there really.
    Which is a big part of why I want to move to a chock that will hold the bike up vertically temporarily until I can get a paddock stand under the swingarm.

Laying a bike over on it's sidestand on the lift always feels wrong, but then holding it upright with one hand and lifting it with the paddock stand under the swingarm with the other hand whilst it's 6" off the ground always scares me.

Nasher

• Like Like x 1
  6. Most of the chock systems will be a bugger to remove once the wheel is in them.
    You could try a block of wood under side stand to get the bike as near vertical as you can, before adding rear paddock.
    If you have a flip up sidestand causing the jitters, secure it with a bungy towards the front wheel, so that it stays down till the bungy is removed.
    Bike bars can also be strapped with enough tension to hold the bike vertical while fitting/removing the rear stand.

All just food for thought. Good luck with finding a system which allows you to work confidently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I really appreciate the suggestions, and of course you are right, I need something easily removable.

You can see my little block of wood in the first two images which I use for that exact purpose.
    It does make it a lot easier.

Nasher

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just to update this thread on what I've done to make my life easier when getting bikes on the workbench.

I brought one of these from Ebay:
    P5280037.JPG

Which is great.
    On the bench or on the garage floor I can just roll the front wheel into it and the bike is held (reasonably) securely in an upright position with no mucking about with the sidestand and lumps of wood.
    I wouldn't want to work on it like that, but it's held firmly enough for me to get a paddock stand under the swingarm.

Unfortunately though, the legs are too wide to be able to then get the front wheel off the ground with a front paddock stand:
    P5280038.JPG

So the legs got made narrower to fit:
    P5280040.JPG

And the stand bolted down:
    P5280041.JPG

So now if I want to get the front wheel out I get the bike on the lift using the chock and paddock stand:
    P5280044.JPG

Lift it with the paddock stand:
    P5280046.JPG

Then unbolt the chock, remove the pin for the 'seesaw' bit, and wiggle it out:
    P5280047.JPG

P5280048.JPG

Then of course reverse the process when finished.

Nasher.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information