Lights come on but doesn't crank

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Ducatinite, Aug 15, 2013.

1. [TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]04 m620.
    Was left sitting over winter. Worked fine before left sitting. This summer, Battery was dead. Replaced battery and spark plugs, changed oil, oil filter, air filter, put in new gas. The main fuse was blown, so I replaced that. All other fuses were fine. Putting the key in, lights would come on and fuel pump would prime, but when I tried the starter button, nothing would happen. Lights don't dim, doesn't try to crank, solenoid doesn't click. I replaced the solenoid... It's called a starter relay switch for this bike I believe, and still the same issue. If I jump the solenoid by using a u shaped wire to connect the two connections, the bike will start fine.

I verified that the clutch safety switch is being actuated by the lever. This problem occurs whether or not the bike is in neutral, as indicated by the functional neutral light.

Any suggestions on what the next sep should be? There are no error codes shown, however the blinkers will flash a few times whenever I turn the key on, I thought that might be some form of error code, but could not find evidence online.

Thanks in advance.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2. Just helped with a 749 that had exactly the same symptoms. Eventually the problem was traced to the Diode that is on the wires of the low tension side of the starter solenoid. (to prevent voltage spikes)

This was replaced with new and the bike started. It's a cheap component to replace.

It's a 1N4007. You'll get 10 for a quid http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Pack-1...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2ec9a31e2f

[​IMG]

#2 chrisw, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hmm. I don't know how I would've found that! I'll give it a try.

4. I was unable to find this diode on my bike. I followed the wires on the low tension side of the starter solenoid, but they are sheathed/covered in rubber (not bare like your picture). I felt the hole wires to see if I felt a diode or anything thicker underneath the cover, but it seemed to be all even. I could not see any method to remove the cover.

I'm not sure if cover is the right word, but the wires are basically like power chord cables. Wires underneath with a protective rubber like material on the outside.

I also have never changed a diode before, so maybe I am not understanding where I should be finding them (I was looking in-line). Any further insight, sorry for the rookie electrical question.

Someone else also suggested the start button, which I took apart and cleaned but to no result. Any method of bypassing that to eliminate it as an issue?

5. I don't know what year your Monster is but certainly earlier versions would be a case of checking starter switch itself and connector on solenoid for light corrosion from inactivity. I know some bikes have inhibitor circuits (like sidestand switch) that would interrupt attempt to actuate starter but can't remember if any Ducati work in this manner. I remember the diode fitment coming up before and if yours has it as standard (not all were) then it makes sense to at least try it. The fact that your indicators flash makes me wonder if you have an inhibitor via an alarm that needs resetting because the battery was disconnected? just an idea.

6. If you have an Immobiliser/alarm, then a flat main battery will "SPIKE" it and you wont get it started on the button. This happened to me after the bike had been left standing for 5 months. You can get the "DE-SPIKE" instructions online from the manufacturer.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information