1200 DVT Little Help Required..

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Daz, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Hello esteemed Multistrada owners,

I'm in the fortunate position of having both a company car and a company bike. I'm currently on a 14 plate streetfighter which aside from a couple of warranty issues has survived the 20,000 miles I've put on it quite well.

I'm due to change in April this year and I'm looking for something that makes me smile, I can commute on and scratch on. I'm torn between the 1200s and the Pikes Peak variant.

As its a company vehicle servicing etc is taken care of, so I'm interested in the basics, ride difference, tech spec and handling. I've got test rides booked in March but you can't beat real world experience.

It'll be used for a minimum of 50 miles a day, about 30 of which will be on the M25 filtering past the blind folk in cars, the occasional trip to that there London and scratching in Surrey and the odd track day.

Thanks in advance.

2. Multi is a wide bike. Very wide. WOuld be worth checking its ease cutting london traffic

3. I ride mine in London all the time, no big issues with filtering. Just watch your mirror on the 4 x 4's and Vans.

Probably not worth the extra costs involved with the Pikes Peak (I've just ordered a standard Red S one and I'm having the Pikes peak paint added).

• Like Like x 1
  4. yup, commute m25 everyday, great bike to filter on, not so much inside London as big engine wants to go motorway speeds in town areas, clutch heavy after an hour's use of town riding - maybe use an oberon?, and sometimes big temps in stop start, but fine for one-offs. You'll need heated grips and touring seat, but all other stuff is optional, maybe get some crash protection like the barkbusters for the grips, as you are likely to get it dinged in London and the indicator thingys are about 80 quid a pop.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you - don't the heated grips come as standard on the 1200s? I know they don't (I think I know) on the PP variant.

6. from memory the factory heated grips are standard only on some model variants/add on packs ie. the 1200s "touring" but not 1200s "sports" or fitted retrospectively.

worth the hassle to get the factory ones in the deal though because of the integration with the controls and they are bloody good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The standard 1200S doesn't come with heated grips, you have to opt for the 1200S touring which comes with panniers, centre stand and heated grips all factory fitted.
    The only thing you dont get is the colour matched infill panels on the panniers these are an extra £65!

• Like Like x 1
  8. You can add the heated grips as an extra on any bike rather than buy the touring pack if you don't want the panniers (I did this and added the LED Fog lights)

• Like Like x 1
  9. The differences between 1200s and Pikes Peak are suspension, colour and some carbon parts.
    I wouldn't change the Ducati Skyhook Suspension (DSS) on 1200s, with Öhlins suspension on Pikes Peak. For me the DDS works perfect under every road condition and in track. Also you don't have to you don't have to bother with adjustment of suspension for one or two up or when you want to go faster or in track. All this are done from the left hand switch.
    I must say that didn't test ride the Pikes Peak variant so far!

#9 GiannisMulti, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I think Desperado, the panniers now come colour matched as standard.

11. i commute from Kent to London with my wife everyday and season! I bought the S version because 2 up S version is the best! its good and easy at traffic and loud ! you don't need a slip on because i try it is not loader then OEM exhaust. Heated grips is a must! i wouldn't worry about pikes peak, it just not worth it! the same power with only carbon fender :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thank you. I used to live in Marden and commuted on a ZX12R which was easier than I thought it would be.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information