1200 DVT Main Stand Pic Please

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by fatbob99, May 12, 2016.

1. can someone please post us a pic of where the spring connects too on the main stand please
    I have a good idea however I want to be sure
    Not sure if I'm strong enough to stretch the spring , any tips would be greatLy appreciated
    Thanks in advance

2. This might help if u zoom in image.jpeg

3. Thanks Jim
    That's what I thought
    Unfortunately my skin is weak as piss due to medication so will ask my mum if she will come round and help me put it on

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Try this method:
    1. Put the centre stand loosely in position with the springs attached at both ends.
    2. Poke a large long screwdriver through the pivot hole in the centre stand on the right side (i.e. near the spring) and into the hole in the frame which the right pivot bolt will have to go in. This locates the stand approximately.
    3. Go round to the left side of the bike, and insert the left pivot bolt. Get it started on its threads, but don't yet do it up fully.
    4. Go back to the right side of the bike. Take the large screwdriver and poke it through the hole in the welded bracket on the centre stand near its foot, so as to give you leverage.
    5. Using the screwdriver as a lever, pull the centre stand into position against the force of the springs so that the right pivot bolt hole is lined up. Insert the right pivot bolt and tighten it fully.
    6. Go back to the left side of the bike and fully tighten the left pivot bolt.

This method does not involve application of much physical strength at any point. Also it doesn't cost anything.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks Pete , much appreciated
    makes sense

6. Worked a treat Pete
    Way easier than the spring puller
    Thanks for that

7. Don't do what I did. I was fixing the small Spring bolt on the LHS, and successfully managed to over tighten and shear off the head. New bolt on order (£10). Old bolt stuck in bike c/w Loctite! And it's not shifting. The centre stand looks great sat on the workbench. Any (sensible) suggestions welcome...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Most threadlock releases with a bit of heat on it and if you drill 2 small holes opposite each other you can stick circlip pliers in them to turn it, or needle nose pliers will work if that's what you have.

Bolt extractors will also work with a central hole... Depends what tool's you have to hand but localized heat will help.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks Stonesie. I'll get out the hairdryer tomorrow and see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Failed. The bolt thread at least had moved. Further in as I tried drilling again to insert a larger extractor.

11. I make a tie wrap into a loop, use that as a handle to pull the spring on then just cut the tie wrap and yank it out.
    Tie wrap = zip tie

Do Not Sell My Personal Information