Metzeler Roadtec 02

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Android853sp, Feb 26, 2024.

1. My new Metzeler Roadtec 02's have arrived and will be fitted tomorrow. Will update this post with my thoughts. Andy
    20240226_114301.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. It will be interesting to see how you get on with them - a good test as we are still in the last days of winter with some cold weather and wet roads. It will be interesting to see if they warm up as well as the Roadtec 01 SE.

My Dunlop Roadsmart IV arrived today and will be fitted on Thursday - but this thread is about Metzeler Roadtec 02 - so it will be interesting to hear about them ....and how you get on with them :upyeah:

3. They look just like them m7rr tread pattern, wonder if they’re closer in character to those than the out going 01Se

4. I currently have a pair of M7RR’s on a 1200 Multistrada and comparing the pictures I took of the 02’s today with the bike in my dining room, the rear is very different, the front less so but different nevertheless. The profile of the 02 is very similar to the 01SE. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  5. I stick with metzeler as occasionally on 'closed roads' have been known to do triple figures. And these things grip in all conditions, this past winter in the midlands has been an utter joke. I saw less then five days were it was minus celsius, the attack upon the jetstream continues by USSA. I look forward to going roadtec-02 in the coming months.

https://www.windfinder.com/#3/49.5042/9.5421

6. The new Metzelers were fitted this morning and after a quick lunch break I managed to head out for just over an hour on the bike before my thumbs froze.

Ambient temperature started at 4.5°C and reached a heady 6°C during the 60 miles I managed. I deliberately chose a familiar route that avoided main roads, delivering a challenging ride out over the gallops near Kingsclere, Overton, Micheldever and back home via the Candovers. Mixed surfaces, dry, damp, wet, mud and the inevitable gravel.

I thought long and hard during the journey, how I was going to explain how I felt and how the Roadtec 02’s differed from the Diablo Rosso 4’s.

The Metzelers warmed up quickly, bearing in mind there were zero miles on them before I set out and I was cautious. Probably after about 10 miles in, I started to settle into a familiar (01SE) feel as I tried to build confidence to ‘make progress’. I guess after about 30 miles, any doubt was gone, the tyre was working every bit as well as the 01SE’s and handled all the surface changes (and occasional oops moments) without missing a beat. IMO, the Roadtec 02 is an excellent tyre that suits my riding style and demands. Only time and miles will tell how well it lasts but I have high hopes.

Now to the difference between it and the Rosso 4 :thinkingface: I think it is simply down to the Pirelli being designed for a different operating temperature, better road surfaces and having a more aggressive profile. On the Metzeler, the bike progressively rolls into a lean through the bend whereas I found the Pirelli drops into a lean. Probably why I didn’t gel with it.

For me, the Metzeler feels familiar, just like a pair of old slippers :D Andy

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. Should also have said, the tyres have transformed the feel of the bike for me. I really enjoyed my (cold) ride out today. Andy

• Like Like x 3
  8. I've got 01 SE's on mine, after years of sports bikes and sportier tyres I have to say the confidence with them in the cold and wet is quite incredible, so have been interested to see your thoughts on the 02's as will need some tyres soon. I was out on Sunday, I think the temp was about 7c, and I was scraping my boots a few times, hopefully Daytona toe sliders are too expensive!
    Get some more miles on them quickly, so I don't make the wrong tyre choice. :upyeah:
    My uncle used to live at Deane Park near Overton (he worked there, didn't own it), spent quite a bit of time there, when I was a young un.

9. Transformed it in what way?

They do look closer to the M7 tread pattern than the 01’s. I’d be interested to know how the profiles of the fronts differ M7/9 compared to the 02’s.

10. The majority of the last 30,000 miles I’ve ridden, have been on the Metzeler Roadtec 01SE. The change to the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 4 gave a much different feeling, almost unstable in comparison. IMO, simply down to the change in tyre profile. I found the Rosso 4s are very tippy, similar to the old Dunlops where you felt the bike was about to fall over in the transfer into lean which felt abrupt. With the flatter profile to the Metzeler rear, the transfer into lean is more progressive and linear. I guess someone who rides a sports bike would describe them as feeling “lazy”. Bottom line, it’s a confidence issue and I’m sure if I had started riding the Pikes Peak in the warmer months, I might have been confident to give the Rosso 4s a bit of time to get used to them but they are IMO, most definitely not a cold weather tyre. Andy

11. Talking of the M7 RR I remember putting the M7 RR on my Yamaha MT-10 SP at the time - and then swapped them out for the newly released Roadtec 01 (maybe 2017 ?).

Big difference that was straight away obvious was in slow moving traffic - the 1 mph - keep both feet up on the pegs - ultra ultra slow traffic situation. That was harder with the M7 RR because all the footprint was on the sides of the tyre and the centre of the tyre relatively narrow. This made ultra slow 0.5 mph traffic riding much more weaving to keep it upright without touching your feet down.

Putting on the Roadtec 01 the ultra ultra slow - barely moving - traffic situation was hugely improved. With its wider profile you could easily come to a complete stop - for sometime - without putting your feet down. The difference over the M7 RR was huge.

Personally I am hoping that Metzeler have kept the profile of the new Roadtec 02 closer to the Roadtec 01, than to the M7 RR. In my humble opinion the Roadtecs are still a very capable tyre if you want to get a move on.

12. The profile of the Roadtec 02 rear looks (and rides) the same as the 01SE, it is definitely not an M7RR (which is my all time favourite scratching tyre). Andy

• Like Like x 2
  13. My simple answer to that is don’t ride at 1mph. :joy::upyeah::motorcycleduc:

Ride faster where there’s no traffic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. No offence intended Mattie.

It’s an interesting dilemma I’m facing at the moment. I’m going to change the M7rr’s on the Monster even though they’re not totally worn out. They’ve been on a while and it’s not just that the front is worn on the sides, giving a more pointed profile. I think they’ve gone off with age or heat cycles. Quite frankly they now feel like shit. No confidence, slidy on the rear and twitchy on the front. They feel like they’re only working on very fast sweepers when they’re hotted up. Even then I don’t feel 100% with them. They’re going in the bin.

I’ve had quite a few sets of M7’s and M9’s on various bikes and I’ve recommended them to various friends and family. Everyone has been more than happy.

Now however I’m thinking the shape of the front could be producing the ‘flighty’ feeling I notice on the Monster and the Multistrada. Just too light and twitchy at the steering head. I seem to have cured the Multistrada by fitting a steering damper, it feels more planted. However I rode the Monster on Thursday in dry sunny conditions and quite frankly I thought ‘I’m not enjoying this’. Either these tyres have got to go or the bike has got to go. I finally get out for a ride and I’m not enjoying it!!! Fk that!

The Panigale with M9’s feels planted and I figure it’s because of the extra weight on the front. Although it does have a steering damper of course.

I’m looking around and it’s coming down to fresh M9’s or maybe some Dunlops.
    I want a dry weather tyre. If it’s wet, I don’t go out, I don’t need to. Come to that when Uncle Baz and I came back from Jerez last year the M9’s were great in the Monsoon between Portsmouth and a warm bed.

Pirelli’s I find you have to keep the heat in them.
    Michelins I hated with a vengeance the last time I had a pair. They were slow/cumbersome to turn but maybe the faster turning Metzlers are contributing to the flighty steering head feel.

So what to do, what to do?

Hmmmm…..test ride a Streetfighter again:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Doesn't matter which tyre manufacturer I used on my Multistrada 1200, the front was usually rogered by the time the rear had worn thin. It always without fail, wore the tyre shoulders before the middle. I put it down to the characteristics of the bike and how I rode. Doesn't matter what I ride, I put a lot of faith in the front tyre and push it hard, my Panigale V4 was the same :D. Andy

16. Had a spirited run out with a bunch of late middle aged hooligans this morning. About 100 miles over some appalling single track roads covered in sh*t and pretty sketchy conditions. There is no doubt in my mind, the Roadtec 02 is a brilliant tyre for me and my riding style. Quick to warm up, predictable and linear. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  17. Happy with this :D Andy
    20240309_125927.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Are they noticeable better than the 01? Or just different?

19. At this early stage, I would say they are at least as good as the 01SE but need to see how they wear. For a new manufacturing process tyre, I am impressed. It has changed the whole riding experience massively for me, compared to the Diablo Rosso 4. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pretty good test for wet cacky roads - can't ask for better than that. Roll on being able to test them on fast sweeping corners - on dry roads in the summer ! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information