Michelin pilot power 3

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Ginge848evo, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Was in the hunt for a new set of tyres for my 848 evo and fancied a change from the pirrelli's, I went with pp3, any of you's have any experience with these tyres? What psi do you run them at?

Cheers

2. Hi Ginge,

Just fitted a set to my '93 900ss which was previously fitted with Pirelli Diablo Rossos, which I couldn't get on with - sticky as anything in the height of Summer but crap the rest of the time, especially when it was wet.

I've literally only just scrubbed the PR3s in after about 100 miles, so not really pushed them at all. However, early indications are that the bike steers much more accurately and turns in to bends easier, although this may have as much to do with fitting the correct 170 width rear tyre instead of the 185 that the previous owner had put on? They definitely heat up MUCH quicker than the Rossos and give me the feeling that they're going to give load of grip now their scrubbed in. Lots of good reports about them, which is why I chose them over my previous favourites Dunlop RoadSmart IIs.

I've found best results for my bike at 33psi front and 37psi rear, the OEM settings made it a bit harder to turn in to corners. Suggest you start at standard settings and then work your way up in small increments of say 2-3psi until you find the right setting for your type of riding.

Hope this is of some help.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fitted PP3s (not PR3s) on my 1198 last weekend, so I'm in the same boat as you. I had Michelin Pures last time, but they've been superseded by the PP3 which is said to be superior. Time will tell. The Pures were excellent for my riding style, so I hope these live up to expectation.
    I use stock pressures, so F2.1 & R2.2 ................So far so good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 33F 35R

5. The pr3's are hard to beat.Do any of you pick a safe and favourite windey road and get the tyres working then stop and check your running tyre pressures to see how much of an increase you have? normally looking for a 10% front and 20% rear pressure increase from cold.

6. Eh..... When they get that hot i just want to stay on!!!!!

7. I bought a set or pilot power 3 as i was a fan of the 2CT.

The PP3 is an excellent Fast road and trackday tyre, was doing mid to top third fast group times before they started to really slide and let go a lot. But it does need to be hot to work well though , before they are up to temp they can be a bit slippy on the road, so watch out for the forst 15 mins after you first set out

cant really say for wear yet but it doesnt look bad at all

the PR3 is a much better tyre when its cold and wet

8. Had a pair fitted 2 weeks or so ago.

Best tyres ive ever had.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hi, cheers for the info guys! I have now done 400miles on my PIlot Power 3 and thinking along the same as you JC749. Put around 30psi rear and 32psi front and getting good feedback from them on fast road.

10. Michelin recommend 2.4 bar rear and 2.2 bar front for these tyres. Running at a lower pressure on the road, won't give you more grip, all it will do is wear out the tyre quicker. The chances of getting a tyre hot enough on the road to make it worthwhile dropping the pressure (as you would on the track) is very low, they just don't work hard enough.

11. So right.The rear pp3 i've run as low as 27psi cold and the bike was weaving a little at the rear till the pressure came up to 30psi or higher.On my gt1000 i run 32 front and 35 rear.

12. I've had Power 3's for about a year now and was advised by a setup guru to run them at 2.1 front and 2.0 rear (that's 30.5psi front and 29 rear). I'm no racer, but I find this has worked really well.

13. I had the Pilot Road 3s on my 749 and loved them.

Will be putting them (or I think the 4 is out now?) on the 848 when it needs them...

14. The 4 is out? Gordon Bennet. I haven't even fitted the front 3 yet to go with the rear: it's still got the 2CT at the front.
    Just can't keep up with the endless innovation in all spheres motorcycling.

15. Agreed and it's expensive when you try.The pilot three on the back is too good for most to keep their licence me included.The power three on the front is nice.

16. I still cant get to the edge of me Dunlop Gripmasters.

17. I fitted the PR3's to my hyperstrada and have to say I can't fault them, the bike feels so much better turning, grip is brilliant, I run 33F and 36R

18. Just shoed the Multistrada with a set of PR 3's ready for Spain in three weeks. Just got to scrub them in now!

19. Give them to keith916,he;s got me in stitches :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information