Monster 1200 Charging Port Fuse.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by moz, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Can I ask you clever lot about electrical issue/fuses...On the Monster I use an optimate sae to the ducati specific underseat port. I have been trickle charging the bike fine with this. I went to plug in my Keis heated jacket this morning and it blew the fuse in the bike fuse box. When I found it it turns out it's just a 3amp fuse, now I think the jacket alone requires 7.5 amps. My question is can I replace the fuse for something like a 10amp or am I asking for trouble as this is the port where all the diagnostics tools are plugged in so believe my I don't want to mess up the ecu or whatever. Yes, I am an electrical gimp.

2. Don’t use it for anything but charging the battery. The wiring isn’t designed to be pulling higher current.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yep, that's all I needed to know. I suppose I'll have to connect straight to the battery if I want to use heated gear but I didn't really want to start drilling/filing the battery housing cover.

4. According to the wiring diagram, fuse 1 of the same fuse b(ox), marked "Optional key" is 7.5A and supplies a connector for optional heated grips. I don't know where the connector is, possibly under the tank near the steering head. It is 2-pin with a red/black (+12V) and a black wire (gnd).

#4 Derek, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  5. I'm betting it's this one:

20191020_111257.jpg

6. The connector shown above is hidden behind the black cover, you need to pull that out of the way to reach the connector.

7. This has sorted it:

ducaticonnector.JPG

Would anyone happen to know which fuse this runs off? I can't seem to find it in the manual at all...

ducatifusebox.JPG

Cheers.

8. It is fuse 1 in fusebox A, fig. 186 in the manual. The other fusebox from the one in your pic above.
    Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 10.38.06.png

9. That connector is the ignition on powered one that I use for a USB port to plug phones and GPS into.

10. That's what's thrown me, the current 'optional key' fuse is a 5A. Ideally my jacket requires a 7.5A draw. It does work on 5A I guess it would be best to leave it as 5A?

11. Can't help you there, only have a manual to guide me. Fuse 1 in fusebox A (nearest the top) is shown as 7.5A and supplies only the heated grips connector and the optional Ducati alarm.
    I would check for power at the connector when the ignition is on then pull the fuse and see if the power is no longer there. If not, you have the right circuit and there should be no problem with increasing the fuse rating.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information