Monster 937 Case Breather Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by TryHarder, Jul 22, 2024.

1. Hi,

2022 Monster 937+
    When I returned from a ride out yesterday I was cleaning dead flies off and noticed my cloth was black when I wiped around the yellow rear spring, cut a long story short the breather above the clutch has been, well, breathing I guess, and some light oil residue was around it and that area, a light mist that Road dust has stuck to. I found the Jubilee clip around the pipe to be not very tight at all small screwdriver two fingers turned easy. So I undid it was pulled the pipe off and cleaned it, inside the pipe it was a little misty I guess but not wet. So I put it all back and ‘nipped’ up the Jubilee clip to what felt about Jubilee clip right to me. The pipe goes on a long way and the fitting has a lip for the pipe to go over so I can’t decide if it was coming out of the pipe or the fitting on top of the case which is another rubber fitting held on with tiny cap screws, these were all very tight. If you gently rock the fitting you can see a little oil squeeze between the rubber of this fitting but that may of course be on the outside in the grooves that I can’t easily wipe away. Has anyone else noticed this / fixed it / still got the problem. Picture of fitting attached (hopefully) thank you.

IMG_4307.jpeg

2. I like your meticulous post content. I am slightly jumping to a conclusion but if the oil seep on flexing is at the conveniently placed white line on the flanged fixing on the crankcase, then i am not surprised as looks like a slight design compromise (moo) and flange fixings should be 5 or 6* in number, not 3 and wouldn't be surprised if a mod follows in the future.

* one hard to site/would have to be internal with difficult access anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I'll have a look at ours next time I'm in the garage. Andy

4. I just checked mine, 2021 model with 13000 miles, and there is no evidence of oil leakage

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you all for replying and looking, I’ll see if my attention has fixed it next time I ride if not I’ll swap it all. I was looking at how it works and have seen it’s got quite a few parts to it as it has a reed type valve inside to make sure the pressure only goes one way, despite this the breather, clips and pipe are £45 the lot, the breather itself is £16 and these are Ducati Genuine parts prices. So worse comes to the worst I’ll swap it all for new.

#5 TryHarder, Jul 23, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
Do Not Sell My Personal Information