Msv Novice Days

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Android853sp, Jun 26, 2023.

• Like Like x 1
  1. probably a good idea, I think there also needs to be some ACU Licence Holder 'test days' also, which would take some of the pressure off the normal trackdays, and stop racers filling up inters if they happen to be racing there after.

2. I got that and admit an interest. I'd like to do Brands as its local to me. But I dont want to hold faster guys up or be their camber.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ye Ricky, I got your card marked...

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. id be up for cadwell 24 august

5. Can I be a novice if I think I’m sh*t?

6. This for sure! I did Snetty last two days, in Inters there was a mix of people from british superstock (Obviously fast is full and its 2 weeks away from the Snetterton round) through to a few people on first track day - makes for some scary riding if you actually at a good inters pace!

But the novice days in general are really well run - some are a mix of cars and bikes but its a really good day and if anyone wants to do a first day think its the best way to start out. No ego's like there is on a weekend Snetterton day and everyone is there to help out on the day with better briefings suited for novice days.

Modern bikes are made for track days, specially the brand we all love on here. There are people who take multi's, hypers and seen Diavels on track (There was a guy on a Harley bagger showing them how its done recently) - do it you wont regret it

My only warning, is once you've done it - if your stupid like some of us (Well me) you will end up buying track bikes, a van, all the gear and spending tons of spare cash (something I used to have) on rubber and keeping shares in the oil companies going "round and round in circles" as the wife calls it!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Can anyone else confirm your thoughts? ;)

8. almost certainly mate!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I went on a novice day just to help a mate, they weren't to happy with me riding as I'm normally in inters

10. I think they’re a great idea but it’s a shame really as a normal trackday is supposed to cater for novice riders so there shouldn’t really be a need for novice only days! I’ve noticed a massive change in trackdays over the last several years and sadly not for the better!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah I could start a forum on its own about the change in recent years so know what you mean.

Agree with the point also on same its required - found the road bikes days allot more relaxed, they are also so a good way in for people to consider as a first day as well as the novice days

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The most fun I had was road bike only day

• Like Like x 1
  13. Interesting though isn't it, because the tide has definitely swung towards racers. I was watching an REPerformance vid the other day, and Rick Elder was saying "I went to brands for a trackday as I'm racing there later in the year, and OMG the people in fast group are so slow it's dangerous".... I mean, he then said "I know it's not a test day but it's just dangerous"

The issue is exactly him, not saying He's a bad person, but he represents this belief that as long as they say they aren't there 'testing' it's okay, but in fact that's EXACTLY what he was doing. I don't know what the answer is, but as someone who wants to start stepping up to the occasional fast group, it puts me off, even though at some days I've been too quick to stay in inters really (when riding well).

• Agree Agree x 3

14. Hoping to do a few there this year as it’s local for me as well. Be good to get a few of us together mate

15. Ah, okay, I am biased and Rick is a friend of a friend but…

That particular day was an absolute mare. The fast group had a terrible mix of abilities. Guys who arguably should have been in novice rolling around in fast. Shed loads of silly accidents and red flags.

brands gp in general is a bit of a shit show usually. They don’t run many dates, they’re oversubscribed and it’s geographic location I honestly don’t think helps.

plus, it was wet in the morning which is always a recipe for disaster.

The issue of mismatched abilities has been an issue forever, but it’s definitely got worse.
    I really believe timing would be beneficial. From one day to the next you can have a huge swing in abilities and pace. And, Or an account of sorts with the provider (perhaps even a central system) that proves ability, pace etc.

it’s the same in the racing world, I remember when I was a newcomer and lads rocking up for their second race doing 1:34’s at Cadwell on a 600 ffs! Meanwhile, up the back… lads doing 2 min 20’s. Nutty

I enjoy evening sessions, but, the mixed inters/fast group is unbelievably slow usually.

TD providers mostly from my experience don’t want to take any responsibility…

#16 Advikaz, Jun 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  16. Few of us are doing Brands GP next Wednesday. Forecast is rain :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Was that last week? If so, I agree, it was not a great day with tons of stoppages, wet all morning and then quite a bit of mayhem (air ambulance called etc).

18. like I said, it’s pt a dig at him mate or that wasn’t my intention, it’s more the fact that racers are just a different breed… funnily I thought about booking brands but the reasons you mentioned made me nervous of even booking it.

I’m building a track bike at the mo, and really really questioning the point

• Like Like x 1

19. Yep, that’s the one

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information