Mts V4 Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Fahad, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Anyone tried the Metzeler M9’s yet on the MTS V4 and any feedback?
    Alternatively the Roadtec 01 SE?

Predominantly dry weather riding in all temps. Have found the OE Scorpion trail 2 great in cold and/or wet but would just like a bit more performance when pushing on in warm/dry weather.

2. Several threads on the forum about Metzeler tyres but everyone has their own favourite. My favourite for outright handling on my 1200 Multistrada was the M7RR and IME, the M9RR was not an improvement. Still a good tyre but lacked feed back on the edge for me. I still scratch but do more touring now and my go to tyre is the 01SE which is a huge improvement on the original 01. I will repeat, EVERYONE has their own take on a tyre so be prepared for differences of opinion :joy: Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks Andy, I’m torn between the M9 and the 01 SE and not sure which to go for. I don’t do long tours but spirited rides / days out in the colder months.

For glorious summer days I’m fortunate enough to have the Panigale.

4. Best ‘spirited’ mileage I got out of an M7RR on the rear was just over 2000. The 01SE is far better on life and I find isn’t that much of a compromise. I’d say I’m probably 80% on the 01SE’s. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Get the M9’s anyway. Or if you can still get the M7’s if you prefer, they’re both good. More mileage out of the M9’s.

01’s are more ‘all weather touring’. Personally I find the M7’s or M9’s make the bike turn much faster:upyeah::)

6. 01SE are a great tyre

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Conti Road Attack 4s now come in V4S sizes.

8. Don't think the M7RR is available in the 19 inch front. M9RR is.

9. Conti TA3 , fantastic tyre , scrape your pegs all day long and will last a Spain Trip. Great feed back , and can take the abuse of hot grippy and no so perfect roads . A real performer with no down sides. Will try the M9rr but worry about the overall tire performance and above all the mileage which I feel it would struggle to do 2k where I would need to use it (Spain) and to get a tyre changed in Spain is a bit of a mare .

10. Thread moved

11. I used the Metzler Roadtec 01's on my R1200GS for over 3 years, they are great tyres in all conditions but I was having to change the rear every 5K miles. I ride all year round and do a lot of miles, so I was going through two sets a year. I've just changed the Scorpion Trail 2's on my V4S MTS for the first time last month after 7600 miles. I only got my bike on 10 June last year, and so the performance of the tyres have been faultless. The 7600 miles included a lot of 'spirited riding' in warm dry conditions, 3 long distance tours with luggage etc, and a lot of 200+ miles weekend riding in all conditions and all on twisty A & B roads and very little motorways. For me they've been the best tyres I've had in a long time. But as everyone know, tyre choice is always subjective. Good luck with your choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. You’d have to be really ragging it to only get 2000miles out of an M9RR.
    I get at least 5k out of the rear.

13. I only get 2500 out of the Conti Set in Spain , just over 3 k in the UK , but I change tyres as soon as they loose the feel if you see what I mean,. Riding for me is a hobby not a mode of transport for A to B . My tyre supplier said with a rye smile , with you , the M9rr would not do a Spain trip. I do tend to push a bit and always have . Touring with the wife has seen the best out a set of Scorpion Trail ( great touring tyre as predicable and safe ) , Worcester to the Italian Lakes and back think that was around 3.5 / 4 k and they were toasted but did the job. No chance on the 9rr

• Like Like x 1
  14. That aligns with my approach and experience. I expect (and get) a lot from my bike and it won’t give that, on a worn tyre. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Did the CT3 improve the turn in over the Scorpion Trails?

16. a.jpg aa.jpg
    Yes , the ST2 are very neutral which when touring with pillion is a nice feel . The CT3 turns great and the feed back from the front is very good edging on perfect , drops in the corners well , holds the line and grips at all lean angles and is not flustered by road surface , you can take it close to to the edge on the front and the feel is positive and off the edge with the rear , still with great feel and grip . The phots show the tyres after a section of roads in Spain , reason for the shots was the peg scraping and the amount of grip given with no movement and was amazed how good the tyres felt. . The CT3's really are a great set of boots. Always ran then on my 1250 Gs and they were as good , they did wear more on the front but that is the way a GS wear tyres when pushed , front first.
    Have just fitted a set of the CRA 4 to see how they go as they are an improvement on the dated 3 which I have tried on the Gs ( did not suit the BM) but not the V4. a.jpg sorry about the last photo (duplicate) but cant see how to edit the post .

17. Just fitted the Conti Road Attack 4 to the spare wheels so will be able to run a back to back with the Conti TA3 , on first impressions with the new tyres they seem to have a steeper profile than the old Attack3 , lets see how I get on . Waiting for a new set of bearings and then hopefully be out again to see how they perform.

#17 Captain, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Any feedback on the Road Attack 4?

Been running the 3s for a few years and hard to fault. Always found them fantastic grip in all conditions but find the steering just a little heavy at times (19”” front on GS..)
    I just cant get my head around the Trail Attacks with the huge tread gap size! So they are a none starter for me..
    Looking to try either M9rr, Roadsmart 4 or the new Road Attack 4 and cant decide, if the profile is slightly steeper than the previous 3s, that could be perfect
    I realise the M9rr will not last as long, not an issue..

19. Ive had the M9RRs for about 500 miles now. They are great tyres but... i do think it makes the bike a little more 'flighty'.

I get the impression the rear is a bit too skinny and tall for proper full lean riding. Might just be me and i have had no issues so far.

20. It would be easy to look atGS tyres (and other bikes with these wheel sizes) and think there is no way they should grip, esp if you come from sports bikes.
    They do though. The GS with good tyres is one of the most stable bikes on the market at full lean. All in the mind..

• Agree Agree x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information