V4 Multi V4 Protection Options

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Captain, Jul 18, 2024.

1. IMG_3363.jpeg IMG_3362.jpeg IMG_3361.jpeg IMG_3365.jpeg IMG_3366.jpeg Decided to fit the GB Engine Covers as well as the Evotech Bungs , took a bit of messing but can be done.
    Mine is the Grand Tour and has the additional flappy Tabs on , with the Evotech Bungs these no longer operate but , never need to use them before and find this not an issue as did not have them on my last 3 . Great slide protection with added cover , also fitted the lever guards.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The covers look good, as long as they don't rub and are removed to clean once in a while.

My only concern with the mushrooms is what happens if the bike is sliding and they dig in.
    Years ago I saw an TL1000R written off because the mushroom dug in and cracked both the engine case and frame mounting point.
    My friend also had them on his VFR800 and after dropping the bike it had a slight oil leak, cracked a casing.
    If they do no harm though and save bigger bills, whats not to like :)

3. Not a fan of Bungs myself, Ok in a car park drop - which is what happens most of the time.
    At any speed and they will dig in and may cause more damage than they save. I fitted the Wunderlich option as per the link. They don't resemble scaffolding and are hardly noticeable on the bike.
    Wunderlich engine protection bar (wunderlich-adventure.de)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Look good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Prob is, if you drop it you'd want to know they'll do what they're supposed to do. I dropped my PP today, lost my footing on a crappy path when I stopped, if it wasn't for these the left side would have had some expensive damage.

6. IMG_3367.png
    The bungs at a topple would do the same I feel , they have worked for me in the past . Had a 80 mph low side and the bungs worked well along with the case covers ( Yam R1 ) the bungs bent as they are designed to and did no damage to the mounting points . They never dug in just slid along with the other protection parts. The bars from memory have tubes that stick out which I felt was more of a dig in point for me and a worry.

#8 Captain, Jul 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The bars I recommended are a newer design that don’t have those tubes that could dig in.

8. They look good. Easy to fit?

9. Whatever a bike slides on, it’s the road surface that might cause it to dig in and not crash protection.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Must admit I had missed that , they do look better by design , but still may cause damage similar to the bungs if they "dig in " as you say . Duke63 has a good point :upyeah:.
    The mounting points on any fitment may cause addition damage , lets hope they do not need to be tested . Ride safe everyone

11. Do you know if the ‘flaps’ still work if you fit these bars? Also does it affect the spotlights? I’m not normally a fan of the look of engine bars but these are much more subtle.

#13 Twin4me, Jul 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
  12. I managed to fit them myself, the front bolts were a bit of a pain as spacers and washers had to be fitted, I used grease to help hold them in place whilst wiggling the bolts through, instructions were good. Removing the OE bolts was fun, its a bolt in a bolt, first bolt is easy, inner bolt was stiff and I soaked them in penetrating oil before removing them.

Yes the flaps do still work and I have the Ducati spots and they work fine and are not affected by the bars

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. On the topic of the Evotech crash bungs, a pal who recently travelled on the EMM 2024 to Nice (Carros) has these fitted to his V4, which also had the flaps fitted. These were working on his because he had used his practical awareness by making a small adjustment to the flaps by trimming off an edge using a dremel. This enabled the bungs to fit as they should and still enabled the flaps to be functional as they are supposed to.

An excellent outcome as I saw it, in every respect. With a closer look, perhaps this minor trim would give you everything!

Like you, I'm not a fan of crash frames, they are very ugly indeed and I've always fitted crash bungs to my bikes. Interesting as with a number of insurance companies, they highly rate R&G fittings.....

14. Thanks for the information , I will get the dremel out this afternoon and have a play , I had wondered if this was possible and now maybe it is . Brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I cracked an engine case on an RSV1000 crashing into Redgate. I’m pretty sure the crash bung caused the damage.

It saved the fairing but put a hairline crack in the top case. I didn’t realise until the next day at the same track and oil was all over my feet and the back tyre.

Funzies!

16. Crashbar saved a lot of expensive for me. I reckon the alternator housing would have got damaged if it wasn't for the bars.

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-18 at 11.19.21_3cb79e55.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. The one fitted to the V4s have a wide spread bracket , so spreads the load and would in effect stop any localised force and allow the bung to move and do its protection job, If I remember the RSV 1000 bungs use a small bracket to mount the bung , so this may have caused the crack due to the minimal load spread .

18. Did its job , just cant get over the look , bungs for me as always worked for me and others.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information