V4 Multistrada Brakes & Pads

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by ymfb, Mar 8, 2024.

1. My bike was serviced today and my only observation to the receptionist was the front brake pulses. It’s done < 9,000 miles.

Before the service was completed the dealer texted me to say front pads are 90% worn and discs are warped. Rear pads are 70%.

The bike is never raced or rallied I’m an “Advanced” rider and compared with many barely use the brakes, so apart from the pulsing I was surprised at this news. When the R1200GSA came out there were rumours that rear pads weren’t lasting to the second service (6,000 miles) due to the linked brake system. My 2019 GSAs front pads were changed at 18,000 and rears 30,000 miles, which included several trips to the Alps, Picos and Pyrenees.

I don’t disagree they need changing, but disappointed they have not lasted.

I’m probably going to do the work myself. Where do people buy discs and pads and should I be buying Brembos again?

2. Try cleaning the disk bobbins & disk’s first. My V4s seems to develop this pulsing and a clean has sorted it sofar though my mileage is only ~5.5k . If the disks are really warped then I would suggest other options than factory items such as Brembo Oro disks or better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I’m not that surprised by the wear rate, the Multistrada V4 is a heavy bike. I wrecked a set of Brembo SC’s on my track Multistrada 1200 in about 300 track miles and that only weighs 190kg. I had 320mm Brembo HPK discs fitted to my V4 Pikes Peak at the PDI and expect a set of Brembo SR’s to last about a year. Certainly you could do worse than upgrade to Series Oro Brembo discs suggested in #2 but I’d pair them with SBS 900 RST sintered road pads. If you’d prefer to stick with standard to see if the wear is typical, I have no shame and happy to plug these, https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threa...-discs-and-pads-removed-during-the-pdi.97970/ :D Andy

4. Warped discs at 9000 miles is shocking! Is that not a warranty thing?

Discs on my '16 Enduro warped, changed them for Brembo Series Oro and the better Brembo pads, massively better. No warranty obviously.

5. I’ve had a 1260 multi and a desert sled that developed pulsing/ warped disc feeling on the front and both times I thoroughly cleaned the bobbins and both were perfect after.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. IMO the disk rotors shouldn’t warp in so few miles. If you use FB there are a few Multi V4S groups out there, search across them and you’ll find there were a few owners in the early days who experienced warped disks, most got them replaced under warranty. I’m assuming yours must still be in warranty? If it were me I’d have a discussion with my dealer about a possible warranty claim.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Today we fitted the new discs and pads, all good. The old front pads were well worn, although I’d probably argue about the %, clearly the dealer hadn’t cleaned them despite the service receptionist advising they had. I couldn’t visually see a problem with the old discs, but the wheel spins more freely so they were likely problematic.

Based on over 40 years of riding, having owned many large/heavy motorcycles I still think < 9,000 miles is very poor for a set of pads and ridiculous for a set of discs.

Pleased to have saved a significant quantity of money over what the dealer quoted, if anyone has a set of unused and unwanted rear pads for a 2022 V4S Multistrada do let me know.

8. I took my bike into the supplying dealer to fit a new chain and sprockets plus a basic cheap before a big trip. I was surprised when they said the front pads are 50% worn as they have barely done 3,000 miles.

I need to find a different brand from Brembo, one that lasts longer than the tyres !

Any recommendations?

9. SBS. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  10. Do you happen to know the part numbers ?

Would they be described as “SBS HS Sinter Street Motorcycle Brake Pads”

11. 841RST, one down from the DS (dual sintered range). Andy

• Like Like x 1
  12. I noticed the Brembo SC pads have considerably less material than other sintered brands. I got told they were close to the wear limit on the 1260 front, but when compared to a brand new set barely 2mm had been used. I swapped them out for a SBS set which started with double the material.

Makes me think Brembo are shaving a little off for profit and to sell those long life pads which just have the usual amount of material.

13. thank for the above posts.
    I had the same issue with my V4S on a recent trip to Germany. Front brake judder, but not all of the time. Under slightly heavier braking. No grab at low speed, but slight noise when moving it around.
    Mine has just tipped over 6k miles, so I would be pretty disappointed if the discs need replacing. Was going to get them cleaned up and some new pads if needed.
    Still well within warranty, so I will follow that up if they say the discs are wonky donkey.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information