My 848R Build

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Sinister, Dec 22, 2012.

1. I am a new guy on here and maybe you might have seen my first post in the new members thread so I have decided to build my 848 into an "R"

I know that Ducati didn't offer any "R" from the factory so I took the project upon myself to be different!
    I have added a ton of upgrades on the bike thus far from Carbon Fibre to a full Termi system to a complete Ohlins suspension to a Slipper Dry Clutch & a lightened Fly Wheel!

Here are some of the latest pics so far...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the last week I have added OZ Wheels & still waiting for my TTX MKII to arrive...these pics were taken today!

I even have a fitting license plate lol!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My headlights are in California at the moment undergoing a projector retro fitment where I will have both lights on low beam on & both on high beam.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are not them but this will be similar to what mine will look like...

[​IMG]

As for the plastics they are at the painters getting some custom airbrushing...those should be back in the middle of January...pics will follow!

#1 Sinister, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Looks like Dementor may have some competition! :upyeah:

Out of interest which flywheel? I thought the std 848 one was as light as the DP aftermarket one anyway

3. We are both doing pretty well the exact same thing to our bikes with a few minor differences lol!

Ducati Corse lightweight flywheel, Less rotating mass results in lower inertia allowing greater capability to rev up especially from low speeds. This flywheel weighs 2.12 lbs (0.960 kg) while the stock flywheels weighs 4.18 lbs (1.898 kg) saving 2.06 lbs (0.938kg). This is a great weight savings and is a noticeable upgrade. Be careful getting a flywheel that is too light as your bike will have idling issues...this flywheel has a good weight so you won't have those issues.

#3 Sinister, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  4. I was told the 848 was already under a kilo, as its different to the 1098 etc. intestesting you feel the diffrence then

I do love that colour scheme tho, best td scheme ever imo

5. That was straight from Ducati of what I posted!
    The colours of the 2012 are really nice, I did look at the stealth black but I have heard nothing but complaints cleaning them from fingerprints and at night you can't see them so I chose the tricolore where it cost only $1000.00 more and you get the quick shifter, rear ohlins shock, traction control & the 330mm big brakes!

#5 Sinister, Dec 23, 2012
  6. So whats next then? Keeping paint scheme? really love the ohlins on these..carbon wheels? (another top f my lottery list)

Interesting you went dry clutch route, cant stand the noise myself but know loads who love it and consider it part of the charm, so both Dementor and I have a sigma slipper fitted.

7. But for an R is it not all about the engine? Is this not an S model.....lol

A few on the US sites have done full spec motors and call them R's, full Ti internals, pistal pistons, flow work and MUCH more this was back in 08.

I guess the fly wheel will off set the weight of all those HID ballasts.... ;)

And those bolts, are they that nasty s t e e l .....lol :D

#7 arthurbikemad, Dec 23, 2012
  8. Yes I am keeping the paint scheme the way it is but I am adding to it by way custom airbrushing...nothing to major but some subtle touches, carbon wheels are nice but I really like the ones that I just put on!

Yes the dry clutch is a different sound and also the trademark of Ducati...either you love it or hate it!

9. True all the R's do have titanium rods & stronger internals but for the most part mine will be about 75% as an R, if he motor ever goes then I will be going with the specs for the internals as an R

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lighter gear box and many other small tweaks make up the R engine...

Good luck to you, making it your own is what counts.. you could dump the monoblocks on go to the old 08 monster calipers that looses another xxx grams ....lol Well that's my excuses....haha.

11. That's exactly what I am doing...making it the way I want, everyone knows that 848's never came in the R version but I am pretty close to it...and if they did have them available, so that's why I am calling it an R hahaha!

12. Just keep sticking up the pictures mate, get clicking....lol

13. Is that a corse ride height adjuster?

im interested in the projector lamp conversion.

14. So they are lighter wheels too, now I look just like Roys! Lol

Arthur has my dream wheels....maybe when I'm divorced or widowed and have no ne to answer to I'll get them ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Well there will be more pics coming as it progresses lol!

• Like Like x 1
  16. No...that my friend is from Ducabike!

Take a look this is where I am getting mine done, there is 100's of combinations but it will cost you about $1000.00 but work is simply amazing and it's custom!

Click here---> http://www.sickhids.com

#16 Sinister, Dec 23, 2012
  17. The gold OZ Wheels that are on now are definitely lighter than the stock wheels, carbon wheels here cost $5000.00 for a set plus I don't like the 6 spoke, I am more of a 5 or 7 directional spoke type of guy...also I really hate black wheels! Lol!

18. Mine could do with the Kyle rocker and modding my TTX, stock spring in the TTX36 is too long as are other weight springs from what ive seen so be sure if your chopping it over to get the correct one but IMO it will never work well with the OEM rocker.

19. You mean the track link right? Thanks for the heads up, I might have to order the Kyle unit!

[​IMG]

#19 Sinister, Dec 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 1

20. actually its the shock length that is shortened to go with the kyle rocker..........i have a couple of the shorter bottom eyes that achieve this if anyone requires them....you would also need a shorter tie rod too....its all about levers and moments..not bling and bull:wink:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information