My 899 Tank Is Only 12 Liters??

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by JRosc, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Okay so today I run out of petrol, took my motorcycle to petrol station, filled it up and guess what the counter is showing 12.5 liters?? How is this possible? I'm looking up the specs on this motorcycle and everywhere I see it's supposed to be 17 liters?
    What can I possibly be missing? I took a light to the tank and I see nothing inside, no dead cat lol. If anyone wants to shed some light on me please let me know.
    My low on petrol light pops up at around 100 km as well, but I learned to ignore it as it's all over the place. But today I run out of gas after 130km, so I'm now seriously questioning what in the world is going on.

It probably makes no difference what so ever, but I have autotuner and also akrapovic exhaust.

2. That’s very odd. I get a lot more miles to mine before light comes on. Usually at least 40miked on reserve too. Something not right there.

3. Are you brimming the tank? and do you fill it when on the side stand? If you fill it when you are sat on the bike you'll get more in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Filling on the side stand wouldn't make that much difference. 4.5 litres is a gallon!

5. Aftermarket tank?? You’ve checked tank or I’d say someone has put something in there, like race foam

6. I have had slightly hyperactive fuel lights on all of my panigale's, my Panigale V2 started showing the fuel light around 100 miles and then would go on/off/on off over the next 20 miles before staying on, then I could normally get 14.5 litres in.

I also had a fuel light like that on my first 899, so worth pushing 5 miles into the fuel light to see if it goes off/comes on again.

I haven't done enough on my current 899 yet to know what the fuel light does, but will post when I've done a full tank and fill it up.

7. Have you checked to make sure there isn't a 2kg package of Cocaine left in there by a previous owner?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Hey everyone, yes I put the petrol all the way to the top of the tank, and I never fill on the side stand always while sitting. The only thing that is different about the tank that I see is it has quick release cap, but everything else is OEM. I had my desmo service a week back, and the mechanic didn't point anything strange out. I will have to call up local garage and see what they say

9. If youre doing spirited riding you wont get much more than 120 miles from a tank (the light comes on around 90 miles in). You can probably eek another 15-20 on top of that if youre being frugal with the twisty thing on the handlebar.

10. Shouldn’t affect volume of fuel but may explain why it ran out with 4l still in there….be worth checking the cap isn’t creating a vacuum that stops the fuel getting out when it gets to a certain amount in the tank. Some notoriously have a breather easily clogged… when you ram out of fuel are you certain that it was entirely empty?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information