899 My Review Of The 899 After 300 Miles

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Metal God, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Here we go…. As promised!
    899 Panigale Owner Review:
    Impressions after 5 days / 300 miles – standard bike keeping to the 6000rpm limit, riding briskly without labouring the engine (correct gear choice).
    Looks – Don’t think I will be tiring of the gorgeous curves anytime soon. Grabs attention for all the right reasons. Now I know what it feels to be exclusive at the control of a ‘Super’bike. Standard tail was removed on day 2 and a Bruudt taily tidy fitted with new plate. Bit fiddly but end result is great. Rest of the bike looks lovely as standard. Don’t see the need to change bar ends, brake/clutch levers etc. yet as they all look great. Only addition will be a Ducati Corse decal on each side in silver to match the rest of the decals and make the look a bit more interesting.
    Sound – Awesome with standard exhausts- meaty, bassy and just loud enough without being uncomfortable. Don’t see the need for Termis yet. When shifting the exhaust pops now and then like an aftermarket one. There is definitely something addictive about the sound.
    Engine – The 898 cc engine is smooth and refined for a big V-twin. No issues in traffic, slowly coasting along in 1st or 2nd gear. There is no hunting or kangarooing as reported with the big brother 1199. To be honest I wasn’t expecting the 899 to be this easy in traffic. Throttle control is pretty smooth. Yes the engine prefers to be up in the revs but still manages slow speed stuff pretty well albeit slightly grudgingly – letting me know “I am doing you a favour and being civil, now get on with it”.
    Quickshifter (QS) / Gear train – Firstly, the quick shifter is just amazing. Having not had one previously, I can’t imagine how I lived without one. After a day of getting used to it my observations are: Be positive with the gear change while keeping the throttle open- this keep the gear train + the chain loaded and helps the QS engage easily. Been using the QS even for 1st to 2nd at town speeds using the above technique and haven’t had any issues so much so that I have stopped using clutch except for pulling off stand still and downshifting. The QS gets even better on open roads, momentary power disengagement and off it goes. Makes riding the bike sportily a lot more pleasurable. No false neutrals so far.
    Heat (a point of numerous discussions) – Bike gets hot very quickly at slow speeds. After a long run, with ambient temp of 15degC, the engine temperature was showing 100 degC while waiting at lights. On most occasions it is between 80 and 95degC at slow speeds. It does get a bit uncomfortable especially on hot days, but if you move around a bit for circulation, your backside cools down. This was with fabric trousers, so nothing to be too concerned about. Heat is more evident under my right thigh more than left. However, as soon as the bike is moving along at steady speed engine temperature drops to about 65 to 75 degC depending on ambient temperature and road speed. So in short, get her out in the open!
    Handling – As setup from factory the bike handles beautifully. I weigh about 72kgs and 5ft11(average rider? – debatable!). The roads around Kent are just mostly bumpy and rubbish. I found the rear a bit harsh for these roads so have softened the rear compression and damping by 2 stops which has aided comfort without compromising handling. Haven’t really tweaked anything else – Front and Rear are setup as per normal road use in the Ducati owner’s manual. The track settings will be too harsh for the typical South England roads. The bike wants to hold the line and lean like no other bike I have ridden previously. Its even better that a 2014 Fireblade I test rode recently which felt a bit heavy and cumbersome in comparison. Steering is light and its easy to flick directions with the bike obliging instantly, maintaining the intended line and speed. On occasions where I have gone in too quickly, it has been easy to confidently lean the bike over a bit more and regain composure without any scary moments. Standard Pirelli Diablo Corsa tyres are fairly grippy but may not last that well. Next sets will be Metzeler M7RR of same profile/size.
    Bike has mostly been in sport mode and both ABS and DTC are fairly unobtrusive. It has most definitely added confidence to my riding. Used wet mode on day 2 when it suddenly rained and found that pretty good as well. Not used Race mode yet due to running in.
    Comfort / riding position - Standard seats are comfortable and good enough in my opinion. The ride height is already fairly sporty and can get a bit heavy on the wrists at slow speeds. Comfort seat will increase the ride height and load your wrists further. Once at speed, its reasonably comfortable provided you don’t hold the bars with a death grip. On Saturday I was on the bike for 3 hours/130 miles on a mix of roads and didn’t feel like I had been go-karting at the end of it. I found that keeping the toe end of my feet onto the pegs when the bike is at speeds helps with the riding stance and keep the pressure off my wrists a bit more. Haven’t fitted the pillion pegs yet so can’t comment on how it is two up. Quite easy to see this is a rider’s bike
    Foot pegs - (given all the discussion on this thought will make it a separate heading) – Don’t see what the fuss is all about. Yes they are a little bit more slippery than other bikes and can be an issue in wet weather (not that I’d want to soak this beauty). However, it rained on day 1 and 2 of ownership and I didn’t find my shoes slipping off the pegs at all as long as I was aware of my positioning on the pegs. I do agree that upgrading the pegs will improve the grip and looks but don’t think it’s a major issue. The gear and brake levers are reasonably well positioned and can also be adjusted which I haven’t needed to. So in short, don’t see the need for rear sets yet. May get a pair of Rizoma or CNC pegs in a while when inclined.
    Paintwork – Looks stunning in red, however as others have noted, the red paint looks like it’s easily scratched. At some point, I am planning on applying paint protection to help keep it great looking. After plenty of research this is the product I have chosen. Easy to apply as long as you take care, time and precautions as per the manufacturer’s video guides on youtube.
    Gtechniq C1 liquid crystal – it’s the newer version which is easier to apply.
    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/gtechniq-exo-v2-gtechniq-c1-liquid-crystal-kit/prod_1321.html
    The XXX+ factor – The bike doesn’t need to do any of the above, with it just standing there and engine ticking over it tells a story of passion and refined bruteness that other bikes can’t quite match. You can either get something lightning fast and super engineered or you can get the 899. For us mere mortals this is a bike blessed by both god and the devil – an exciting creature of middle earth.
    SUMMARY – This is a true “superbike” for the person seeking an edgy experience while still being on the right side of civility to make this a daily bike. I can see myself keeping it and loving it for a long time. Yes there are a few minor issues (engine heat, pegs, riding comfort at slow speeds) but the bike as a whole package is a hugely positive and engaging experience. I am glad that I chose the 899 over the Fireblade. Now need to get the remaining 300 miles completed, get the oil changed and open the baby up beyond 6k revs where I can sense she is throbbing to go.
    To sum it all, I felt proud when my 4 year old boy said “Dad, this is cooool. I want a Ducati when I grow up. Can you buy me one? I can race you.” I just smiled to myself and said to him “Yesssss!”. Nothing else I’ve had comes close. :upyeah:

#1 Metal God, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Great write up, can u follow it up with the same headings in 1000 more miles? The reason I say this is because I personally didn't worry about heat when I got my 848 but it now drives me mad and I wonder if it's something that will get on your nerves as your time with the bike increases. Also the footrest thing, I'm starting to think certain brands of boots are worse than others, my 848 is terrible with my Worn Alpinestar boots in the wet, literally my feet slide off with the slightest bump. Something with a slightly thicker and softer sole like a Daytona boot may be totally different!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Hi Phill748, Will do so re: the follow up sir! post 600 mile service. Hopefully I can get the 1000 miles done this year before the bad weather hits us. WRT to the footpegs, I have used casual shoes (soft sole) for quick rides and Hein Gericke boots (harder sole) without any overly slipperly effects. I guess sole does have an impact. The heat will be uncomfortable in traffic and in peak summer and it may get annoying once the 'novelty' factor wears off but honestly it isn't that bad. I will feedback over 1000 miles. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Your write up is spot on. Thanks.

Personally I have no issues with slippy pegs. Maybe my alpine stars are grippier than other boots? I wouldn't have thought so though given they are at least five years old.

And yes there is some heat given out but it's not as bad as the 848 and definitely nowhere near as hot as the cross plane crank R1 I had which roasted you like nothing else on earth.

To me it is the best road bike out there. I certainly haven't found anything better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mine had its first service on Friday and I finally got to open it up[not doing the extra 1000 revs/100 miles].it needs to be reved hard but its well worth it.the qs is awesome when the throttle is wide open

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. I did think the pegs were slippy so replaced them with dp ones

7. The quick shifter is amazing! You can use it going down as well, I only use the clutch when starting off or coming to stop.

8. Didn't realize I could shift down as well! Learn something everyday. I did try but felt some resistance so started using the clutch. Will give it a go next time. Cheers.

9. you cant , well you can but the q/shifter is for up if you wanna go down you need auto blip, if your being lazy going down you can blip then stamp it down but your better with clutch,

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. That's my understanding too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Doesn't work on the down shift on mine.

12. I can't wait for an automatic

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jaysus they know how to spoil a masterpiece don't they.

14. When i picked my Pani up from Wolverhampton he was explaining to me how the QS worked and said you dont actually need to use the clutch when changing down either.

When i first tried to do it i couldn't work it but then i found that if i have the throttle in a constant position (like when doing an upshift) and tap the gears down it just drops straight in really smoothly, no banging em down or forcing. So if i am slowing down, i apply the throttle gently so it holds its revs and tap it down a gear or 2.

15. Surely it's not meant to be used like that? Downshifting helps slow the bike down, and I find the clutch helps control that. Also, I don't fancy keeping the throttle in a constant position under hard braking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Great write up and it's nice to hear you are enjoying the bike. Gotta agree with Jimmy & El Torro, I would and do only use the QS for going up through the gears, not down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Good write up, most point have been summed up nicely. Suggest you all don't go trying to use a qs for downshifts otherwise MR Ducati will be spending a while fixing the selector forks;).

Have you tried ragging it in wet mode, the sound is addictive and you can nail it everywhere:)

I reckon the foot pegs are similar to other Ducati pegs and are best changed mainly for track as slipping off then tends to really unsettle the bike. As for heat, most bikes get hot in traffic and hot days so just get used to it:upyeah: I've just done about 1300 miles and two track sessions and still love it, doesn't have the punch of my 1198sp but what does:Facepalm:

18. Good luck with clutchless downshifts and using a QS, look forward to the 'grrr my gearbox is fecked!'

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I have been always upshifting using QS and downshifting using clutch. To be honest as downshifting happens with a speed reduction, don't really see the need for QS for this purpose. Plus, I don't really wish to F'up my gearbox!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information