Myrouteapp Is It The Future Of Sat Nav?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Bumpkin, Oct 30, 2023.

1. I've been a long time advocate of Garmin as the only sat nav worthy of serious consideration. I've also dabbled with TomTom, though the issues with the early TTRider model and their denial that there was a problem despite evidence to the contrary was enough to put me off that brand forever. Have also used CoPilot with some success in the past but at the time phones just weren't rugged enough or the available protective mounting systems too cumbersome.

My first Garmin was a pitifully inadequate 3i budget car device followed by a Quest, then a 765T Nuvi (intended for car use but a great budget bike nav), a Zumo 660, a Zumo 760 and then an XT. All progressively better than the previous one. The supporting software always being the frustration; Mapsource and then Basecamp. The learning curve was steep for these but once, with some persistence, mastered they weren't too bad, though I'm sure others would vehemently disagree with that. They did require some patience and also the use of other software to get the best from them.

Then MyRouteApp was launched as a spin off from Tyre, a program that I never really saw eye-to-eye with. This held a lot of promise as a replacement for Basecamp for plotting routes for my Garmin 760. I bought a lifetime licence for the Gold version a short while later and frankly haven't looked back, ditching Garmin Basecamp with some relief. The functionality since then has improved incrementally to the point where the only other software I needed was ITN Converter to create the TRP files for my touring buddy who still uses CoPilot. With routes stored in the cloud the ability to transfer routes directly to my Garmin XT from the MRA app on my phone competed the picture. Development is an ongoing process at MRA with plenty of interesting stuff on the horizon.

MRA then developed a phone navigation app that I didn't take too seriously as I had recently spent good money on a Garmin XT. Earlier this year they developed the new MRA Navigation Next app, replacing their initial effort, which piqued my interest to the extent that I joined the beta testing group. It made public release in June and have continued to evolve since then.

The mount for my Garmin XT is still on the bike but for a trip to Germany in June I bought an SP Connect wireless charging, vibration damped mount and ran both the XT and my Samsung S22, with MRA Next, at the same time. I've got the say that MRA Next provided a better navigation solution than the XT. There are some quirks to it's use, but then there are for the Garmin too. I'm sufficiently impressed to now be using it on it's own.

My only criticism is that it's a little power hungry, though that is currently being resolved by the developers. For planning and then following the route as planned I have to say it's better than the Garmin plus there's no faffing around with transferring routes, though that was made easier with the MRA app and the Gamin Drive app on the phone.

Are there any other MRA Next users on the forum? If so what are your experiences so far?

#1 Bumpkin, Oct 30, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I've never found 'phone screens to be as bright and clearly viewable as a Sat Nav. So I use Sat Nav.

Currently I have iphone an 13, and a Garmin screen presentation is better imo. Sony Android etc previously, with the same overall outcome. Less bad in the winter but...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I found the phone as easy to see, if not easier, as the Garmin XT. The former is switched to auto brightness. With the possible exception of direct reflection of the sun as the phone screen is glass. I do have a matt screen protector on the Garmin which helps in this regard.

4. One small issue, I don’t switch my phone on when I’m on the bike. I don't take calls and most definitely do not listen to music. Used the ‘free’ MRApp augmented with Basecamp since I got shown how :D and am unlikely to change (at my age) now. Andy

5. I use mra routes imported to tomtom app on a Samsung. That mounts on to quadlock with anti vibration. Superior to Garmin sat nav so far. With some glitches! (With the tomtom app..)
    Screen is harder to see, sometimes, but I connect my phone to bluetooth headset attached to helmet, so I get audio anyway.
    I removed my Garmin after this years trip. Only used to find fuel…

6. Amazing that there isn’t a really good motorbike Sat Nav solution yet. I find phone screens aren’t any good in the sun. Often not visible, sometimes overheat.

I’m still using a dedicated TomTom because I can see the screen. To be honest it’s somewhere between mediocre and crap but I still haven’t found anything better.

If someone could get Google maps to work on a TomTom screen, that would seem a good solution.

7. Ive been partially using MRA for several years, but only for planning not as a SatNav, having read your post I might dig out a Quadlock and put my iPhone on the Himalayan, which doesn’t have a Nav to give it a try.

8. My experience is similar to yours, though I don't do that much in the way of touring - probably one long weekend a year.

I dabbled briefly with a Garmin 660 about 10 years ago, but was put off by Basecamp and the user interface.

Having switched back to iPhone for SatNav duties, I used Navigon for quite a while, paired with a variety of route-planning tools, which required a convoluted series of steps to get the route into the required format and onto the phone in the right location. Navigon was discontinued about 5 years ago, so I looked at various motorcycle-specific options including Kurviger, Calimoto and Scenic, but settled on MRA route-planner and its separate navigation app (Navigation Next's predecessor). Compared to my previous Heath-Robinson process of route-planning/device-transfer, the combination was so much easier to use, and my routes were always available. I signed up for lifetime access to the planner during lockdown (ironic, as there was no weekend away that year!).

With the launch of Navigation Next in June this year, the MRA solution is complete (for me at least). I planned a four-day trip with my mate while sitting in a pub with my iPad, and we were both able to use the routes without a single issue on our iPhones. No messing about with SD cards etc, just a simple share of the routes using the online tool (he has also subscribed). The only downside both of us noticed is that the battery drains slightly faster than the charger can keep up. This was not an issue with the previous Navigation app. Having said that, a fully charged phone was still about 60-70% charged after a full day in the saddle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Good write up. My main issues are two fold.

A getting my car to see closed roads (came close to missing a flight leaving home at 3.00 am one day in March 2016)

B I have developed a kind on new tech and new things autism (no disrespect – I know the condition well). I just don’t get it, I follow the instructions and it does not work. Then I get angry, and stop. Rinse repeat.
    I have gone through the pain when younger with Garmin and just can’t face going through it again with another set of tech

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I have a TT Rider, but I dont like Tomtom. I also fell out with them with them deciding lifetime did not mean lifetime and their other issues. I use Apple Maps now on my Iphone and find that to be brilliant. Also has all the traffic and cameras. Mounted on a Quadlock behind the screen its vibration proof and out the rain. Its updated regularly with new roads, the logic seems sound (unlike Google maps) and its free. I actually have both mounts on my Multi but use the phone more now.
    I use Apple maps via carplay in my cars in preference to their inbuilt Navs too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. MRA offer a 14 day free trail of Navigation Next so you can try before you buy. They're also running a Halloween promotion at the moment with 50% off some annual subscriptions, i.e. Nav Next for £8.75 for the year, Routeplanner Gold for £17.50 for the year. Good time to give it a try in the longer term.

As you have experience with the MRA Planner you'll be ahead of the game.

However, for others, like anything of this nature you're going to be hard pressed to be able get to grips with both the route planner and the phone app and make an objective decision in two weeks (the free trail period). You do ideally need both the paid MRA Route Planner Gold and the phone navigation app to get the best out of it. You can probably get by with the free planner though. I have lifetime subs to both and have just bought my best mate and touring buddy an annual sub to the Planner Gold and a lifetime sub for Nav. Next for his birthday.

There are many aspects of their Routeplanner Gold that make it a no-brainer for me; namely:
    1/ HERE mapping (which is what Garmin mapping is based on) which Nav Next has the ability to use too. It also has TomTom mapping with TomTom route calculation.
    2/ Garmin mapping and Street View, both of which are very useful for planning and cross reference purposes.
    4/ 3D mapping, a bit of a gimmick but can be useful for checking out mountainous areas.
    5/ Like the versions, including free, Michelin Mapping with those green edged scenic routes which coincidentally tend to make fabulous biking roads too. Worth mentioning though.
    6/ Some useful route adjustment tools such as Expand/Reduce Waypoints, Reverse and Split
    7/Open Routes in Garmin Drive app, great for transfer to a Garmin XT.

Etc.

#11 Bumpkin, Oct 31, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sheet of marked up A4 in a polypocket taped to the tank :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Did that for our trip to Le Mans in 2012 ……. got us there (with one circuit of a roundabout :joy:) and back :D Our touring today is however, somewhat more complicated and my XT is an essential tool. Andy

#13 Android853sp, Oct 31, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Likewise I really struggled to get to grips with Basecamp (horrible software). I did finally develop a working knowledge by completing a lot of online tutorials and watching YouTube videos.

I had a look at MRA a few years later and was really impressed, I really liked the ease of use, Michelin maps, and methods of saving and exporting routes, especially once I was able to use Garmin Drive to transfer my routes (I’m sure there are other ways of doing this but it works for me on my Mac). I also bought the lifetime offer.

I have used the Navigation next app in the car (using Apple CarPlay) pretty successfully but I’d still rather use a standalone Garmin XT on longer trips. I also bought a lifetime subscription for this.

My concerns are using the phone solely for naviga is ending up with no phone due to overheating, vibration issues, dead battery etc.

The navigation worked really well in the car on a couple of trips. BUT on a recent trip to Malta took us down a tiny road (track really) between two locations I’d placed waypoints at. My fault for not checking but as the road got even more narrow, with dry stone walls either side all I could think about was the €800 excess on the hire car as even with the mirrors folded in I had about 10cm each side!

15. I don't see an option for Michelin Maps in the Route Planner?

upload_2023-11-1_8-18-8.png

16. It’s under the layers symbol on the right (you might need the gold subscription though?)

IMG_2374.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Ah yes. What I was looking at was the routing algorthm, as opposed to the map layer. Another plus-point for MRA!

• Like Like x 2
  18. I've almost given up with my Garmin XT. The PC software is too clunky and using the screen for planning is pretty slow, I use Waze for police warnings, which none of the others offer. I do a route plan using an Ipad and ViaMichelin cross referenced with Google Maps for its Street View to check road type and surface (to avoid getting sent up bad roads or even the odd farm track). It's seriously flawed in that you can only do one intermediate stop, so on complicated journeys I have to stop a lot to check the route and re-program it. What I need is a multi stop Waze and it doesn't seem to exist.

19. Try using My route app, it’s very simple and you can just transfer the route to the Garmi. With as many waypoints as you like (within reason). You can use it on an iPad, phon or pc to plan the route

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. As @Twin4me says, give MRA a try. There's a free version though that lacks some of the bells and whistles such as Google Mapping and street-view. It does have Michelin mapping though and will allow you to plot and calculate routes. What route file format does Waze use?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information