New Battery advice

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by EarlMike, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Hi guys/gals

I went to start up my bike this morning to take it inot the garage for an MOT. Turned the key and completely dead. (Bike is a Multistrada 1000 DS 2003)

Got out the jump leads and started her up and rode to the MOT centre. Passed the MOT with no issues, but garage said it probably needs a new battery, and offered one for £50. However I know nothing about batteries. So I've looked on the forum and in the owners manual and there isn't much to review. I've googles it adn found Wemoto.com supply a range of batteries between £47-£65 so price doesn't vary much.

I like the sound of getting a gel battery, but given how important battries are for Ducati's (i.e. you need every once of power to start the things) I thought I'd lok for some further advice.

Thanks in advance :)

PS. I've also be tolded mixed things on whether I should trickle charge all the time, or just from time to time. I ride once, maybe twice a week weather depending.

2. Hiya

My 2p:

Would recommened a gel-type sealed battery as there is no risk of spillage if the bike is dropped, also no faff with checking acid levels?

What you NEED is a battery with good C.C.A (cold cranking amps), this reads exactly as it reads on the box & a high CCA reading battery will hoof a cold twin over no problem!

Im not conversant with the Multi's and battery size/type etc, someone else could help you out with that, I will point out - if you have the £'s - the excellent little Shorai LiFEPO4 batteries, TINY little things which have VERY little or no current drain if left over time, around a FIFTH of the size & weight of a standard battery??!

CARROT CYCLES

** These will need charging with a conventional bike battery charger if and when they need it (IE if your bike has an alarm fitted), NOT a trickle charger!

Charging? Depends how often you ride the bike? I will give mine a bump-charge in a smart-charger every few days, and a ten minute charge just before I start it to ensure it is 100% fit to spin a twin. :upyeah:

Less cranking = less battery, sprag , reg/rectifier & starter wear!

All good :smile:

3. MotoBatt AGM battery is the boy for the job :upyeah:

4. Great advice re the Shorai's. Thanks.

5. Thanks for advice guys. I've looked into the Shorai's and this one fits, LFX18A1-BS12, which has a CCA of 270, the next model down has a CCA of 210. Any idea what the minium CCA I should be looking for?

6. That - is the model to fit my carby SS, 270 would see you fine! Better to have too many CCA than not enough? :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information