950 New Desert X Owner

Discussion in 'Desert X' started by duke63, Jun 12, 2024.

1. Traded in my 2021 Multi V4S for a new Desert X a couple of weeks ago for a number of reasons.

Firstly I love the looks of the Desert X and had two test rides which confirmed it really is a dual sport bike. It is a tremendous road bike.

The V4 was also coming up to 3 years old so an MOT due and a new version is on the horizon so thought I would get in quick whilst s/h values are still high. Also getting fed up with low 30s mpg and less than 150 miles to the fuel light. The DDX is doing mid 50s mpg and a genuine 200 miles to the fuel light.
    Loving the DDX so far, the 950 engine is one of Ducatis best imho. And I did miss the V2 sound. IMG_3943.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  2. Fek me reading your post it’s as if I wrote it myself in the not too distant future lol. I’m doing the same for similar reasons, deposit down on new order white DDX as they only had a “black” one in the showroom which I don’t like as white reminds me of the old Cagiva Elephants . My other reason is the Mutley is a big heavy bike to shove around on foot & my shoulders aren’t keen these days. I do wonder if I’ll miss the berserk mode the V4 engine has when it’s wot.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Weight was another issue with the V4. Not a problem when on the move but at standstill or putting in the garage it was. There is no way the DDX is only 15kg lighter.

The ‘beserk mode’ on the V4 also was a consideration as it’s so easy to be doing big speeds and not even realise without looking at the speedo as the aerodynamics are so good. Didn’t want to be caught at V4 speeds. That said I don’t think the DDX is much slower at ‘legal’ road speeds.

4. I do rather like these. I daren’t test ride one!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. :D Do it!

6. No!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. I’ve had my DX almost a year now and love it..

#7 Pauldonjuan, Jun 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  8. How you getting on with your Monster ? Same engine I guess and with the Termis…

I’m thinking the same, love my V4 but I just don’t use half the features, Monster or DDX for 2025 will do me I reckon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Interesting, and I can see your logic. I too test rode a DDX about 18 months ago, handed it back after 90 mins with the biggest smile on my face, it’s a cracking bike, but just couldn’t justify that and my MTSV4S.

I think if I swapped though I’d regret it, for me the DDX was brilliant up to about 100kmh (62mph), above that there was too much buffeting from wind - for me anyways - to the degree I’d probably remove, or cut down the screen.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I haven’t ridden it yet. It’s a garage queen that will only go out on the finest of summer days! So, I’ll let you know in 2029.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. And here’s the proof. I’m not even ashamed.

IMG_9394.jpeg

Brand spankers, and that’s how it’s staying

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bike now booked in for first service. Its a brilliant bike and I don't miss the v4 at all.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Nice,been looking at them myself. Had a V4 multi for a year thirsty so went 1260s multi GT,looking to change Xdiavels to a Desert X at some point.

14. I'd have one in a heartbeat, but my little legs don't agree.

I fully appreciate the designers have to build a super rugged bike, but in reality, most won't ever stray off tarmac.

Shame.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. would the 20mm lowering kit and a low seat help???

16. I found the seat height on the DesertX to be ok. Whilst it appears (in the numbers?) to be higher than a(my) V4S Mutley (stock touring mode/auto sussies setting, std saddle in high) it is more narrow and sinks a bit more so it’s effectively lower & a lot easier to paddle about (also due to less mass)

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. I have the lowered suspension on mine and the lower seat. I can’t feel the lower seat makes any difference but the lowered suspension has.
    The bike also feels very much lighter than my V4 so only one foot down isn’t an issue at junctions.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Possibly, but think I'm past my last interaction with Ducati dealers, sadly.

I buy most things 'unseen' so do drop the odd bollock, but going to stick with what I have, as play golf now instead of touring Europe - mine will have it's annual service soon with no additional miles and only three recalls to sort :D

19. This year could be my last tour of europe as im getting bored with sorting out,might do a fly and ride .

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nice, I knew yu would get one in the end!:upyeah:I sold mine as I wasnt using it, just replaced it with one of these so I can tinker and ride without it losing money in my garage! enjoy your new ride !

13954C9B-2365-4A3C-A7A6-58E1DF9DF7C6.jpg

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information