New Here And To Ducati

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Plezier, May 30, 2024.

1. Hi All,

Thought it would be a good idea to join in here as am currently looking at buying a Ducati and most probably a Monster but must admit the Multistrada does not look bad but cannot really tell until until can feel and touch them. The only Ducati that have even sat on was back in 79 and that was a brand new 900SS in Silver and Blue but did not buy it so have never so far ridden a Ducati. Have not had a bike for the last 20 years or so but the weather out here is good for Motorcycles and let's face it there is no longer a need to ride in the cold until back then.

After so long things have changed so much and it has been a nightmare sorting out what it is that am looking for and it's taken some weeks to get to this point it has also been somewhat of a shock the prices of stuff like helmets, jackets, gloves, leggings and boots damn near gave me a heart attack managed to survive and bought a helmet on Monday. Being on a somewhat tight budget am looking at bikes from about 96-06 so they will running carbs most likely also have never had a bike with any fairings. So there you have it.

Plezier

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thank you.

3. Welcome into our mad house :)

4. The multistrada is a very inspirational bike to ride, especially over long distances, the monster no so much. However the Monster is a very handsome and fun machine
    Test ride both beforehand
    Welcome

5. overall I cannot recommend the early multi more highly, if you can put up with its wacky looks, and you don't mind delving in and being ready to fix its quirks*, then it really is a secret weapon as far as enjoyment goes.

#6 Chris, May 30, 2024
    Last edited: May 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks for that however test rides might be difficult especially on the Multistrada as they are not registered here the 600 Monster am supposed to be viewing is registered but have not heard back from the seller so not sure what's going on there. The 750 Monster am interested is also not registered and it's with the same dealer as the Multistradas and they don't speak English have tried the phone and messaging them on their FB page, emailing through the online sales site and am getting no response and it's not exactly hard to copy paste into a translator I do it all the time. They are located in the capital Sophia and that's a good 4 hour drive so not exactly pop in distance.

I was looking at doing a bit of touring around exploring the countryside which is why thought the Multistrada might be good but honestly have never had .... in fact I don't recall ever riding a fired bike my last one was a Streetfighter styled chop that I built using a Honda FB 750 DOHC motor in a ridgid frame running Yamaha cast alloy wheels 16 rear 18 front seat was much lower than the top of the rear tyre so perhaps a Monster would suit me more .... LOL.

Will have to see if I can find sometime to help me speak to thre reluctant sales people though having trouble thinking of someone as we don't know many people here spend my days caring for my 89 year old mother who is in poor health.

7. Bear in mind the seat height of the Multistrada as it is considerably higher than the monster
    Sounds like you have a bit of a challenge on your hands, good luck with it all.

8. Ahhh was unaware of that fact thank you.

As have nee had a faired bike and although at first found the Monsters look a little odd it has grown on me. Mind you I find a lot of newer bikes look odd or strange to me never mind new cars god only knows what those stylists are on! Hencemy newest car is of 2003 Vintage.

Am not tall by any means being 5'8" or 1.72m inside leg is 31" have alway found shape and width of seat to make a huge difference in how well can sit on a bike the T140 Bonnie was fairly tall as I recall but had a slightly shaped seat which helped. The Monster am supposed to be viewing has a higher seat height as previous owner was 6'4"and swapped the rearshock for a BMW one to get it higher the plan would be if I get it to replace that wiht a standard Monster one assuming the one on cannot be lowered. The longer it is and not hearing from him makes me think my asking questions ahs had some sort of effect so best be looking at the adverts again to locate some back ups.

9. Welcome and good luck with your search. If you're intending taking a pillion the Multi might be a better choice, otherwise it depends on what takes your fancy the most, seat height might come into it. If you're not mechanically minded having a mechanic not too far away who is familiar with working on Ducatis is pretty essential I'd say.

10. Pillion not in the planning but who knows what is in the future.

Now have no idea where there is a Ducati place I intend to get in touch with the owner club here there is a motorcycle dealer/shop where I bought my helmet that is about 1/2 drive from home that does servicing and services other makes they just celebrated their 20 years of being open it seems. Bonus for me is that they also have someone that speaks English!!!

It looks like it will be a Monster as just got off the phone with a couple who have a 1998 Monster 600 for sale and it's bog standard nothing altered and barely used. It will need recommisioning as it's not been used in at least 5 years he has owned it since 2007 but rarely ridden it and it has just 9000 km on the clock. They have put a new battery on and it runs and a couple of people have looked at it so far. It only just popped up on the sites that I have been looking on and one one it says negotiation for price but on the other it list a price that is within my budget.

Am thinking that will need to either get a van or a trailer as not sure how I feel riding it with those cam belts on it after sitting for 5 or so years and it's in the capital Sofia which is 250km away so might mean two trips as they need to get it's technical inspection done on it the plan is to go and look tomorrow and take things from there.

11. Thank you sorry I missed you earlier.

12. Thank you and sorry I missed you earlier.

13. Thank you Chris it looks like it will be a Monster though as just found a peach listed, only just pooped up in my search one site did not list a price but another that I have been using did and it's within my budget and bog standard unalthered in fact it's hardly run in with just 9000km on the clock it seems a plus is it's not Black but Blue and Silver Red, Orange or Yellow would have been my preference but hey it is what it is. Another plus is that the couple selling it speak English.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hi, good luck fiding the right bike, there's a world of difference between the Monster and the Multistrada.
    The Monster will be lots of fun, depending on the type of riding you're planning.
    The Multistrada is much bigger, heavier and probably more expensive to own, but very capable.
    Try both, I had a Monster that was great but a little cramped for my height but the Multistrada is perfect, get the one that suits you and your riding.

15. Yes, read your other post on the 600 Monster. That was the first Ducati I ever rode. My cousin was living in Latvia in the mid 90s, it had just achieved it's independance and he was working for an NGO out there. He took his new Monster with him. Me and my then girlfriend, who later became my wife, visited him for three weeks. We had the use of his flat and the bike. The most exotic bike, other than the Duc, we saw was a battered old GS250... Our record was 5 stops by the police in one day, all but one because they wanted to look at the bike and chat, once for questionable speeding with an on-the-spot cash fine of a handful of Lats... Bike was parked in the British embassy garage alongside the ambassadors Hartley. Great memories of that trip for many reasons including the Monster. GF was not impressed with the pillion accomodation...

Good luck with the negotiations/purchase.

16. Thanks if I get the chance today will have a look at those Multistradas at that dealer, reminds me must write down their location so can find it if there is time, my riding will be just normal popping down to th town,riding the local lanes exploring a bit and want to ride up into the mountains just to see tham and the scenery. Once My MG is on the road will do similiar things in that it's not like I can do it everyday but hopefully can find some Motorcyclemeets and events and pop along though I doubt that it will be needed I did bring my tent with me and camp bed used forweekend MG events and meets back in the UK. If your wondring as to what I am doing posting here at the god forsaken hour, it' only 04:55 the darned dogs are making a fuss probably the Hedgehog outside snuffling about or possible a Pine Martin.

So riding wise am thinking the Monster will do just fine am already thinking of it along the lines of my old Triumph T140.

17. Hmmm I chose the Ducati's due to their lack of weight it's was basically between the Ducati's and the Suzuki SV650 then a bit later the Aprill Pegaso came onto the radar though not so enamoured with the "Adventure" style reminds me of the Enduro boys back when we were teenagers was ridng my Norton Jubilee 250 twin then a bit later got the T140E new when was 20 mind you my bike at age 16 was a KTM Comet Cross that was sort ofcross Enduro/Trials, Scambler style sports Moped (47cc Sachs engine) that was bought used.

18. Sounding more and more like a Monster is the ideal Ducati for you. Multistrada is a/ heavier, and b/ carries that weight higher. Though the earlier Multis aren't as porky as the more recent models.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information