New Multistrada 1200 Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Stephen Buchanan, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Hi everybody. I'm Stephen from Northern Ireland, and you all have a lot to answer for! Under the influence of all you guys raving about your Multistradas, yesterday I pulled the trigger and bought one.

I could be in for a world of pain, but my budget only stretched so far. This is my Ducati Multistrada 1200 ABS. It's year 2010, has 29,000 miles, and I've bought it with an issue with the odometer (the milage reads 99,999 miles). I am hoping that the milage is just an electrical glitch or something that can be reset with a bit of diagnostics wizardry. I'll post a separate thread on that, and maybe some of you could be of help?

I'm still figuring everything out about the bike, but so far I'm over the moon with it.

Anyway, here's a few photos of it the way I bought it. duc 1.jpg duc 2.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. Welcome, used to ride sports bikes, I've now got a 1260S, never looked back since...

3. Hi Stephen, welcome to the forum, i am sure you will gel with the bike and enjoy it.

4. Welcome to the forum.

5. I also plan a road trip round Ireland on the mbike, did it in a car a few years ago finishing in Belfast, started in rosslare, I live in Fishguard if you're ever passing, accommodation always available

• Like Like x 1
  6. Welcome to the forum Stephen, great choice. Quite a few on here prefer the earlier Multis as they're a bit more raw and unadulterated. Enjoy your new bike.

7. Thanks for the welcome everybody. This seems like a great place :upyeah:

8. Hi and welcome into our mad house :)

9. Looks nice! I have just bought a 2012 1200s and they are stunning bikes.

10. My first Multi was a 2010. Bloody great bikes. And welcome

11. Welcome and enjoy.

12. Nice one! I got a 2014 1200S GT Back in November, haven't done many miles on it yet but looking forward to hopefully getting out on it when I get home next week!

13. I've already been making a few changes to this bike. I've no big trips planned yet, so I've removed the side panniers, and replaced the touring screen with a shorter 'pikes peak style' shorter version. Also I've removed the covers on the front forks.

Mechanically I've it booked in for a full check-up at a Ducati dealer and I've asked if they will change the chain and sprockets while it is in with them. I'm supplying the parts which I've ordered from here - https://www.carpimoto.it/en-GB/16233_DU-RK-1252S-2-RK-530ZXW-Chain-15.htm

This is the sprocket and chain that came on the bike - I'm not sure if they're worn, or just filthy and rusty, but I figured that if that's they way the chain has been living it's life then it's better to be safe than sorry and just get a new one.
    duc 3.jpg

I'm looking forward to the "after" photo with everything all nice and new and shiny!

14. That looks seriously neglected, hopefully the rest of the bike has been better cared for. Chains can go rapidly downhill if left to their own devices. Looks like it's maybe been ridden through winter without cleaning. Wise to replace. At nigh on 30,000 miles this is likely the 2nd chain and sprockets so, if that's the case (did the bike come with any maintenance records?), will be getting round to replacement time anyway.

15. I think that the bike was rode over winter, and then put away without being cleaned and oiled, so it's likely just surface rust and looks worse than it is. I could probably clean it all up with a bit if WD40 and chain-cleaner, but I'd never get right into the rivets and o-rings, etc. so safer to just change it imo.

Again, this is maybe just an aesthetics thing, but does anybody know where I could find replacement nuts that hold on the sprocket? And can the studs also be easily replaced (although they could likely be easily cleaned up).

16. Nuts are available in a lot of places, addiction motorsport, conquest racing, RSRMoto which are all made from titanium, the local Ducati dealer will have the standard nuts though, the studs are the cush drives, they should clean up easy enough or replace them which will obviously be the more expensive option

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks. Just ordered a set of nice black titanium ones from Addiction Motorsport.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information