new rear shock setup

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by fattaffracingco, Jul 14, 2013.

1. hi all, I 've got 94 ss 600 which I use for trackdays,i've decided to replace standard boge rear shock as its 19 years old,and have replaced it with budget hagon shock 2nd hand but very clean example, im trying to adjust rider sag and have backed off preload on spring about 6 full turns and still only have 15mm of travel from frame to swingarm when I sit on it(and im 15/15.5 stone) and virtually no movement when I lift rear suspension ??? I have roughly about 20mm of thread adjustment left on shock am I heading the rightway ?? ta chris fattaff

2. incidently I have wilbers linear springs in forks from nogaramill with medium weight oil and standard air gaps, front end is fairly firm

3. The actual shock stroke should be 65mm and the wheel travel 125mm.

Static sag should be about 10mm; Rider sag about 25mm.......

My research suggests to me that nearly all front suspensions springs are Wilbers, regardless..........

Some people were selling Wilbers as something special.

Oil in your forks should be SAE 7.5.

AL

4. thanks al-it seems im heading in the right direction and I need to back off preload a lot more,,, dunno who had it before me but preload was wound up stupid amounts and had been like that for some time by the look of the threads-do u know anybody who has used hagon to good effect or do the des/due lot just go straight to nitron or wilbers and /or standard boge unit with different spring and fresh oil ??,ta chris

5. Static sag at the rear is basically checked by how much the bike drops when you have lifted it up (by the grab rail, say).

Rider sag is the same from the raised position, to how much it drops when you sit on it, feet off the ground........

FYI......The owners manual says 10mm preload for the Showa shock (900s and some 750s.........ie, those fitted with the aluminium swingarm) and 14mm for the Sachs Boge shock fitted to the steel swingarm.

My Sachs Boge was at 15mm and the Showa is at approx 18mm because I have a Hyperpro spring on it.....its a bit too hard.

AL

6. My Sachs Boge was at 15mm and the Showa is at approx 18mm because I have a Hyperpro spring on it.....its a bit too hard.

AL[/QUOTE]

did u get the sachs boge refurbed with new oils/seals etc ??? if so ,wot were the results like ??,thanks chris

7. I just had fitted an ally swingarm, so I fitted the Showa shock instead.

Up to then, the Sachs Boge performed OK, but probably could do with an overhaul.

AL

8. I don't know if either of you can help me but I'm looking for a boge shock for my 600ss or a repair kit. Ducati them selfs dont stock it or have it as a spare part on there system at all. Anyone have one laying about that's not pissing out fluid?
    thanks

9. The guy that repaired my Showa shock says he could overhaul my Sachs Boge one if necessary...............he generally gets his parts from:

K-Tech Suspension, road race and offroad motorcyle suspension

Try giving them a call and tell them what you are looking for.

AL

Mine isn't leaking but it is clicking at the top of the stroke when gently bounced..........However, as I am not using it, I'm not getting it checked yet.

#9 Ghost Rider, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
Do Not Sell My Personal Information