New To Uk Rider

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Atomic Monkey, May 25, 2024.

1. I've been a member on this epic forum for about 5 years, but I was living in Los Angeles and a small mountain ski resort in Colorado. So this past November my wife and I decided to make a move to the UK to be nearer her family. I tried hard to get our bikes to the UK but after getting all the details of the logistics and money, we decided to sell her 950SS and my 2012 848 and re purchase here.
    Well, this week, my new to me 2012 848 was delivered Wednesday and my wife's new ZX6R was delivered Friday....we are finally complete!! We took a quick 'around the block' ride yesterday and will be doing a longer one today...I am still getting used to this drive on the left thing!
    We bought a house in/on Portland about a 2 minute walk from the Cove House Inn (all things are measured by pub locations!). In a few weeks we will go do the Thursday night Weymouth ride thing.
    I'm very happy to be here and it's really nice to be around a much larger Ducati centric group of riders.

Couple of questions:
    These tractor sized rear fenders and barn door sized rear reg plates....Is this for real? Is it legal to use a smaller fender? Can you get a more motorcycle appropriate reg plate or will I always be dragging this spinnaker behind me everywhere?

What paper work are you required to cary with you? In the US, my insurance company had their proof of coverage in a cell phone wallet and app and all we needed to carry after that was a small registration form.

Thank you ....

• Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome to Blighty. Cove house inn is a great pub. You often see Olympic sailors relaxing there as it's just down the road from the Weymouth sailing centre.

No legal restrictions on fender (mudguard) sizes, you just need something.
    There is a legal standard for UK motorcycle plates (letter size, spacing etc.) Many people fit smaller ones, though on the slim chance you get stopped by plod, you could get a ticket and a fine. In my opinion if you have a 90% legal size, you would have to have a very observant plod with a ruler and an intention to nick you.

Legally you don't have to carry any documents. I carry my driving licence in my wallet, and the police can access an insurance database to check your insurance if they want to.

In the Uk, traffic police are a pretty rare sight these days. You need to be more wary of speed cameras.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Interesting. Certainly agree with you about the plates. I used to make my own. You were supposed to be able to read them from a certain distance and there was much, much more tolerance for officially undersized ones; but now you're supposed to get them from accredited purveyors - so there's a paper trail, as it were, and to make it harder to make false plates; so for instance you have to produce the log book.
    However, saying that, about half the Harleys on the road have undersized plates. Whether you get pulled over for it is probably down to luck. Three years ago I rode for a few hundred miles with no plate whatsoever.
    The no plate situation began when I was 70-odd miles from home when I discovered it had fallen off. I thought 'no problem', I'll just go to a dealer and get a replacement made up, which was when I found out they won't do you one without the log book.
    I suggest (unless you think it likely yours will fall off too) just carry your driving license, as they have all the other records a few clicks away, hence not having to display a tax disc these days.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wow! Not having to carry any paperwork is a real plus...
    I'm in a bit of a gray area right now about my license....I'm using my Colorado license with motorcycle endorsement. Technically I have a year to do this. I just sent out for my provisional car license and will start that process. I think I can avoid the P plates if I just drive/ride on my Colorado license and not show them my provisional one?? I will worry about the motorcycle license later...I will probably look into a smaller fender set up but at this point I'll keep the large plate considering the whole license issues....

5. Part of the reason we moved to Portland (other than family in Weymouth was the sailing centre. It's going to be great to race again!

• Like Like x 3
  6. A 7x5 plate should not get you into trouble and tail tidies as we know them will reduce the ‘fender’ size.

I carry my license in my wallet but have never needed it.

Dorset is beautiful. I have designs in living there myself one day.

Enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Have a look online at ‘ShowPlates’ you can order a smaller one that suits the look of the bike. I’ve done this on all of my bikes for years with no problems, just remember to swap it back before the MOT visit is due… and welcome to the forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. You can take an accelerated license course to take your big bike (600cc+) license tests immediately. The first step would be to take the CBT course when you want to start the process for the bikes. No P plates needed whilst using your US license.

• Like Like x 1

9. I like that! Thanks

10. I just ordered 2 7x5 plates...thank you guys for that, now to start the tail tidy research. Then out for a ride...just keep saying 'curb on left, curb on left...:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Welcome to the UK
    Take your time getting familiar with the left and a lot of cars doing silly things and pot holes
    It might be worth doing an advance riding course @Android853sp

12. Check if UK has a reciprocal arrangement to recognise your US license

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The EU and a few other countries can swap licenses. Unfortunately I have to start from scratch. I’m good with it, I’ll drive both my car and motorcycle on my Colorado license until I can get the UK one, which is not until end of October (180 days residency). I am just starting the driving school class… even though I just did a road trip from Portland to Ipswich to visit a friend…funny to me!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Welcome and enjoy!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information