New tyres - a buyers tale....

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Mr Bimble, Feb 26, 2014.

1. A mate and I both needed new tyres for our bikes, so without asking the forum massive for guidance, I went for PR4’s and matey went for PR3’s (as PR4 rears not available in a 170).

I contacted three local M/C tyre providers by e-mail via their web sites for price and availability for supply and fitting to loose wheels with new valves and balancing.

One promptly replied - £290 for the PR4’s, £270 for the PR3’s.

No reply from the second, so called them up and they suggested Michelin were ‘expensive’ and there were better tyres out there for less money which were (surprisingly) in stock. If I wanted Michelin they would need to be ordered from the supplier for which shop would want payment up front to cover order and delivery from the supplier. I understand their concern – they don’t want to order tyres and the customer fails to turn up, but not exactly what I was expecting.

Website for the third wouldn’t allow e-mails – automated response that address didn’t exist. Called them up to request a price and told them that there was a problem with emailing though their website which might be worth looking into. The person I spoke to acknowledged this and said they would call back with prices, but no return call received.

Then checked suppliers on the internet, best prices I could find in 15 mins of searching was with Tyre-Leader, based in Germany, £203.48 for the PR4’s, £189.98 for the PR3’s, including 20% VAT and delivery (3 to 7 days). They also list local tyre fitters who charge around £10 -12 each per tyre and could either deliver to home address or drop ship to a selected fitter. A quick look at their feedback suggested they were a genuine with good history of service.

Worth noting that Tyre Leaders price for the set of PR3’s was £48 less than the on line price of a well know UK motorcycle parts supplier, whose website didn’t even list PR4’s….!

Called the first shop and asked if they would fit customer supplied tyres to loose wheels – yes they do for £12, bring them along, happy to help.

E-mailed Tyre Leader asking if they could advise age of the PR3’s, a couple of hrs later they advise all PR3's in stock manufactured in 2013. Placed the order on line last Thursday PM and the tyres were delivered AM this Tuesday. Checked the tyres and the PR3’s manufactured in weeks 48 and 50 in 2013. Not worried about the PR4’s manufacturing date as they are new design, but for the record, both manufactured JAN14. The tyres were made in Spain and supplied via Germany so still supporting the EU.

So great service, pricing, and prompt delivery from Germany’s Tyre-Leader, but somewhat confusing responses from two of the three local motorcycle tyre businesses contacted.

I’m all for supporting local businesses and helping the UK’s economic recovery, but not to the extent of an extra £48 for a set of tyres delivered to my door, or trying to get a quote from a supplier who doesn’t seem particularly interested in my business.

I thought they would be looking for business in the current economic climate, but perhaps I’m behind the times and they have more work than they can cope with…..so happy days then.

Mr Bimble.

• Like Like x 5
  2. nice thread :upyeah:

3. Never heard of Leader Tyres before but a quick check certainly confirms that they are cheap for loose tyres. Thanks for sharing your experience.

4. Used them for car and bike tyres. Great service, excellent prices.

5. That saddens me that once again we are have lost out because of price or bad service. My last tyres were bought from Oponeo UK website but the tyres came from Germany. Crazy. Good to hear that you could get them fitted for £10 - £12. I got so fed up with being over charged for fitting and the sarcastic comments, that I learnt how to do it myself. Well remember Tyre Leaders. Cheers.

6. about time the dealers stop taking the piss im sick of hearing we are only making £5 on a set of tyres then wanting £50 to change two tyre ,shop around save a fortune ,

7. I cant believe you didn't ask the forum :eek: .

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information