No Oil Cooler

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by citr2cv, Oct 30, 2015.

1. did away with oil cooler on hyper 1100 , looped flow rtn pipes together, bike runs cooler without cooler fitted , and more air flow to rear cylinder , plus cleans front end up ,well pleased. tested temp on usual runs and stays in 2 nd heat graph on dash longer then gors into 3 rd graph after 4 miles , and running at 70 mph and traffic lights as well, never gone higher than 3 rd black temp graph

2. Seems a bit strange , makes you wonder why Ducati put it in in the first place , do you think that because the ambient temp is lower now it's not made much difference , suppose the modern oils can deal with the heat better aswell

3. Sounds like an interesting mod, something I will give a try over the winter.... Could you post some pictures please?

4. A hot sunny day in traffic is the test though, have you done that?

5. Did you remove an oil warmer, it sounds like it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I do not think it's a good idea for me to try it in the summer of 40+ degrees Celsius here in Rio de Janeiro, but for countries with less than 20ยบ C degrees celsius I think it's worth trying.

7. Can we see some pics...?

8. Why not just cover the cooler up and keep it for using more oil capacity that's what ive done on my Africa Twin i use all year round.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Good thought. Am I right in thinking you'd have to do more frequent oil changes with less oil capacity?

10. If you blocked it off would that cut off a lot of the air flow to the upright cylinder , if the bike was water cooled it may not be as much of a problem , with regards to having do do more frequent oil changes , I wouldn't of thought it holds a great deal of oil to be a big influence on that , plus most of us do oil changes more regularly than is needed anyhow , plus with dry clutches you don't get plate debris in the oil so that's a plus , and the modern oils are just so good now aswell .

Do Not Sell My Personal Information