899 No Power, No Lights, No Dash

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by JRosc, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Just got to my bike, alarm light was blinking, turned the key, nothing. Not a sound comes out. Any ideas where I can start with here ? Here is a small video https://streamable.com/sherkq

been riding fine yesterday

2. Check battery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. As said check the battery voltage first but even when my battery was totally dead it still lit the dash up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I will have a look into it tomorrow, but being as I never even taken the fairings of this bike before it will be fun lol. Guess I'll just try to remove the battery and put it on the charger. However Zeus you're right, I have never had this where the battery is so flat so sudden that I can't even see the dash, I feel like it will be something with wiring. Unless the battery literally exploded

5. Battery :):bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Or the alarm is playing silly buggers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Also someone recently tried to steal my friends Harley in the same garage, I’m wondering if someone drained the battery to disable the alarm and possibly aiming to steal it…

8. I had this on my diavel not long ago, if it’s not the battery, alarm or a blown fuse it may be the starter solenoid.

9. [​IMG]

Okay so I took out the battery, it's definitely not dead... I checked the fuses (only checked the left ones) and they are all intact. (Most importantly the key turn fuse is fine). Where can I go from here? Any thoughts?
    Also on the off-chance, someone has superhero vision and can spot something wrong, I made a short video on the area surrounding my battery. There are a couple connectors dangling, but I believe one is for rapid bike, other one not so sure. https://streamable.com/6wqewl

10. I had a good battery and no blown Fuses, master fuse on the solenoid was fine aswell, but the solenoid itself was bad. I had no light no fuel pump prime, bike was completely dead.

11. How is the battery under load?
    Ie on the bike with ignition on?
    If a cell has gone it’ll read full volts with no load but 10V or less when any kind of load applied.

12. 14.4 volts on a standing battery? If it was running then yes but that seems odd

13. Indeed.
    However the pic showed it attached to a charger-so it tells us very little about the battery health

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ah I missed that, I presumed it was a reading from a multimeter.

15. Okay so left the battery on trickle, put it back in, still nothing. Got the alarm to ring though after 10 times moving the steering wheel on 11th it went off. The battery is supplying enough power. It honestly feels like the bike simply has no concept of the key being turned in the ignition. I’ve been riding a bit in the rain over the past month I wonder if something got shorted. I’ve been having issues with electronics before, specifically neutral not displaying properly when the bike is warmed up, and low fuel light coming on whenever it wants, not sure if these things are related to current issue. Any other suggestions are more than welcome. I don’t really have any easy way to bring it to the dealer at the moment as well, would love to sort it in my garage so at least I can ride it there.

16. Check the connector behind the dash. It did that once on my 1098 and after checking everything, I discovered the connector to the dash was loose. reconnected it and dash came back and was able to restart it.

17. You say that the "battery is supplying enough power" - how do you know? Put a multimeter across it when you try to start the bike.

It might have a failed cell - in which case the charger will think it is fully charged, but as soon as you load it, then voltage will drop to 10v (or lower)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. You don’t state in your posts that you have done any basic checks of the fuses. The dash is protected by a 10am fuse at position 6 in the front left fuse box.

19. Thanks for the replies, and I don't have multimeter, need to pick it up for sure, but reason I'm saying the battery is supplying enough power is simply because my alarm starts working when I plugin the battery, and it's also not connected to the ignition switch, so feels like the issue has to do with ignition switch. And I did check the fuses, I believe you mean position 3 in the left box? https://imgur.com/AAUdJ4u
    Anyway I checked all of the fuses in the left box, and nothing was broken.
    Good idea on the connector behind the dash, I will definitely check.
    Luckily dealer allowed me to test with a new battery, so will try to pick it up tomorrow and then I'll know for sure if that's what it is. Feels like problem has to be something minor, how can this bike go from completely fine to offline over 1 night... o_O

20. Have you checked the solenoid as suggested?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information