V4 Obdstar My22 Panigale

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Gav101, Jul 19, 2023.

1. Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the OBDStar works for the latest Panigale. Specifically enable the GPS lap timer?

When I picked up my bike it seems the GPS lap timer was never enabled (only installed). Trying to get a dealer to squeeze me in is near impossible. So I was thinking it would be useful to grab the OBDStar tool if works on the latest panigale.
    Cheers

Gavin

2. I have a 1299. I use a PZRacing lap timer which flashes lap time on dash and auto starts/stops based on track that it auto detects you are at. Works a treat at £180.

3. Not sure if it will include that specifically. Normally that would be included in activations but from my experience 'activations' might not include all possibilities, it doesn't list each specific thing it can activate. Unfortunately the only way to find out if either contact the manufacturer (good luck with that), speak to BMDiag or find someone near you that has one and give it a go as you can see the specific activations only once it's plugged in.

I haven't updated mine as I have all the functionality I need from it for my 1260 Multi. My last update was at the end of May, my 1 year included update subscription then expired. What appears below is the listing for the most recent V4 Panigale (MY21 Euro5 model) that's incorporated into the software version I'm running. I've also included the functions for the V4R, you'll note that this includes 'activations' whereas the E5 MY21 one doesn't.

20230719_OBDStar_PanigaleV4.png

You can download the current Excel spreadsheet from the product page here. You'll need to click on the 'Function Manual' tab. You can then use filters to only show the model that you're interested in. However, to reiterate, you won't see specific individual activations.

For my 1260 Multi it does all the activations, for the 1200 DVT it didn't do one of them, spotlights IIRC, for some reason though it still listed 'activations' because it did the others... hope that makes sense. I think, in that case, it's since been included in an update.

#3 Bumpkin, Jul 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
  4. I had one of these on my 21 RSV4. Worked well, the mobile App was a bit hit and miss though. But on the Panigale it already has their own GPS module.

5. On the 1299 you have to buy the module and the data stick. >500sobs. The dash is set up for it once you set it to track display. It would surprise me not that you have to buy it seperately.

The GPS module sits behind fairing above light. On the 12, its just a blank placeholder.

6. Thanks for the in-depth reply Bumpkin. I did have a look on their site and found their latest Spreadsheet and it did show GPS activation of the GPS for the MY21 E5. But no idea if that would include for the M2022 or even work. As you say it is a matter of asking the manufacturer and that could be a fun rabbit hole to go down. Find someone with a unit locally (Anyone close to the St Albans area) to plug in and try or Buy one and hope :)

I guess these units are updated with the latest bikes...eventually?

7. Apologies for my ignorance but is there a technical difference between MY21 and MY22? The listing showing MY21 will cover all years of manufacture, from then, up until Ducati bring out another variant of that model.

I can see from the latest data for the end of June, I downloaded it out of curiosity, that there are some rows in red. Included in these, as you say, is the ability to enable/disable GPS. I think this red indicates an update either in information disclosed or features added.

Yes models, and additional functionality where absent, have been added in the time I've had mine. There's obviously a development lag though.

#7 Bumpkin, Jul 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
  8. This is the GPS DDA kit Bumps. Hopefully your bike came with this.

9. Yeah buddy, came with the the GPS module only, it doesn't have the DDA USB dongle. But it is something i wouldn't use anyway. It seems from what i am reading, the earlier Panigales were plug and play with the GPS module. While the newer V4s have to be dealer activated.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I am not 100% sure. The 22 Panigale has a few updates over the 21, new electronics, dash display. There are chassis changes, etc. It is my first Ducati so i am still finding my feet with it. But I would assume base functions like GPS activation, heated grips etc, those are no different to the 21 model.

"I can see from the latest data for the end of June, I downloaded it out of curiosity, that there are some rows in red. Included in these, as you say, is the ability to enable/disable GPS. I think this red indicates an update either in information disclosed or features added."

Ah this is interesting. I mean i am happy to take a punt on the OBDStar if they are regular updated. It is a handy tool to have and this bike is here to stay :)

11. I have one. It was a really good bit of kit for the 2020 V4. Not so much on the 23R as things stand. It reads fault codes ok but is very limited on its ability to access the bike in order to do passive and active tests.

I will plug it in when I have 5 and see what it’s capable of doing in regards to GPS (mine was activated from new)

12. oh that would be great if you can check to see if you activate it.
    And if it can then I’ll grab one. I’m sure it will be updated in the future. Or hope it would be.

13. do you have to do anything to get it to recognise the track? I was considering the pz racing one

14. I had the PZ one on my RSV4. Plug and play on that bike. You need to make sure the GPS unit isn't covered, i.e under bodywork. It worked well on the RSV4, the mobile app wasn't great though.

In the end i had to have the Ducati GPS enabled by the dealer.

15. Thanks, that’s useful did you get dda also?

16. No I only had the GPS unit fitted. (Was already on the bike when i bought it from the dealer) The dash displays everything I need.

17. Might a hard ask as just bought one of these units for my 1199S

they do these units for other manufacturers, BMW, triumph etc but to save buying another unit how do you just add different manufacturers

18. I don't think you can, i think the units are typically manufacturer specific. Mainly due to the loom but also for the data it feeds back into the dash.

19. Where did you buy it from. If from BMDiag then speak to Robert there for a definitive answer, not sure if he'll be interested if you bought it elsewhere, such as AliExpress. Though I think to have one unit that can cover more than one marque concurrently you'll need to have one of the higher end OBDStar models such as the MS70. If you change bikes to a different marque then it might be possible to have the relevant firmware installed on your Ducati version converting it to another make. Though in doing that you'd loose the ability to use it with your Panigale. As above, ask Robert.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information