Ohlins Front Fork - Dismantle & Insides

Discussion in 'Suspension help' started by gaz92, Jun 7, 2023.

1. In other threads I've been messing with a Ohline front fork. To be honest it's off a Triumph Speed Triple 1050R (so if it's not allowed on here I'll get my coat.)

The dismantle was pretty easy, made a finger plate and cartridge removal tool. Back off preload (and compression / damping if req). The top nut came out pretty easy with 1 peg inserted from a 4mm peg spanner and some leather to protect the fork from the other peg while unscrewing. It was quite loose and I don't think it's supposed to be done up too tight 10Nm I've seen in literature and "Ohlins Guy" video.

20230607_143453[1].jpg
    The fork bottom was a bit harder but with some heat (I ended up using flame not heatgun as it needed quite a bit of heat in it until oil started smoking) and a 20mm Ducati 900ss swing arm pivot shaft and a bit of and extension in the axle hole, it eventually came off. There was a bit of corrosion on the bottom of shaft which probably made if harded to get out.

The outer tube and stanchion are bent. I think the stanchion could be straightened but outer tube possibley has a bit of a crease.

If anyone recognises the forks and have any let me know. My mate is looking at about £2000 each.
    You can't just buy the outers or stanchion. It's a bit of a plug to see what is out there but mainly to show it was not too hard to dismantle.

I was just wondering if with Ohlins the main fork is the same and the top nut and fork bottoms are changed according to end retailer, Triumph, Ducati e.t.c.

Oh, I did have a pipe coupling to hold the outer tube and then stanchion - no chance without that. (2" & 1 1/2" Morris pipe coupling)

Cheers Gaz

• Like Like x 1
  2. HCP & G in Ollerton, N Notts used to be brilliant at straightening and rechroming forks.......

3. HCP rings a bell. My mate is near them and think he has called for new prices. Will ask him to ask about straighening but I think the outer is going to be the problem.
    Thanks for Info Rushjob.

Cheers Gaz

4. I've just read a post on a forum today so it's either here or another one but they mentioned Ohlins outers are still available from Ducat abot £500 each
    The reason I know is because I've been searching for MV Showa fork uppers

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. higgy748 - Thanks
    Rushjob - Thanks

Will pass on info

Cheers Gaz

• Like Like x 1
  6. ST Motorcycles, near Grantham did forks and front wheel for me on an R1 a few years ago, he does a lot of race bikes

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I’ve bought outer tubes direct from ohlins dtc. Last one was for an Aprilia rsv4. About 280€.
    Have you enquirer direct with öhlins?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Hi
    My mate enquired at Brooks Suspension they said (and this is possibley confirmed by the parts diagram on the Triumph website) that the outer are listed as separate (£600 and odd quid) but the stanchion inner tubes are not and have to buy as total assembly of forks.
    I wondered if this was for selling to "joe public" but suspenson specialits and Ohline agents could get the parts. He did ring HCP up but not sure what they have come back with. Iam not sure what the Ohline part number is and have read that Triumph / Ducati and may be others have an agreement for Ohline not to supply spares and to refer back to themselves.
    Will give him ST to try

Thanks both for info.

Cheers Gaz

9. Those internals from memory look exactly the same as my old 2009 RSV4 forks....so am i right in assuming that its the outer thats bent...?
    Pretty sure that outer can be bought as a spare...so just find a generic one (well ohlins generic one as it were)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234880498594?hash=item36aff7fba2:g:YegAAOSwtUtj2Wrp&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwHuc6qvDjahIWmwWdslTQb0k7V3nxUYp9bd0txpNgpFUPg1+bxBT3mfMZM8Ww2kO0qblqmJD+eFM8dNbYuMYIkaJidBeAqaQKjdLgO8FmRmpTVXKO1oZBrRhmW7oLChmj1WrF3MkQ2+0H+jN7kSHbu88GnUsyHPA+MmaJF97OkcR9tw/q3Lx4OA1cn9O5/7cVJ1U7ftBPSJApmtPuPMcvJY/tZNlekJdIGZghx1gIOD37UxJNolKR/5JIRzfqug3Rg==|tkp:Bk9SR6aj17OTYg

I reckon you could probably build a good set from these here...the bottom part of the fork - bolt on to the RSV4 ones..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Comfysofa,

Basically the Outer and stanchions are bent, there seems to be a bit of a crease in the outers which could be a problem, but inners have about a 2mm bow in them and look like they will straighten. (Its not my chioce really, if it were me I would straighten the stanchion and buy an outer that is on ebay at the minute and build them up myself, but it's my mates choice, just trying to give him some options - but i do like delving into stuff like this.)

Yes trawled ebay and seen a few (including the ones you mention) that I thought were the same. I pesonally can't believe that Ohlins makes completely new outers for every fork. I may be wrong but it looks like they use a standard or generic outer as you have said, use stanchions which also could be standard/generic, and change the internal / top adjuster nut and more importantly the fork bottom which seem to be dedicated to the bike manufacturer.

The ones you mention have 7 grooves at the top, my mates have 1. I have seen some for a 2021 speed triple that look exactly the same, same blended diameter at the bottom and 1 groove at the top. When you go to that parts list on triumph web site it's a different part number for the Outer. Being synical I would say Triumph is messing with us, but it puts doubt in your head as to whether the internal machining is the same.

He is wainting to hear back from a few places, so will see what happens.

Many thanks for all input and suggestions.

Cheers Gaz

Do Not Sell My Personal Information