996 Opinions On This 996?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Jonboy, Jun 28, 2014.

1. New to the forum so go easy! Looking at buying my first Ducati. As I don't know that much about them I'm after some advice on what to look for when buying a 996 from a private seller. The bike is a 2001 996 biposto with various carbon fibre bits and a monoposto seat unit. The only things to come with the bike are the biposto seat unit. What sort of money do good low mileage 996's fetch?

Last serviced by main dealer in 2010 (belts inc) and has done 500 miles between then and 2012 when it had an oil and filter change and has been sat in the garage ever since. It's done 9,700 miles.

How can you tell the difference between termignoni slips ons and full system? The guy says it's a full race system but I'm unsure. He's got it advertised at £4,750 but I reckon I could get him to go down a bit as it needs service etc.

Cheers

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. Look ok for red thing. Very gay though.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Looks nice, The Termis are 45mm cans not full system though.

4. Looks very good. Personally, I'd be happy to pay the asking price if I was in the market for one, no need to get him to go down!!!!
    They tend to be holding/increasing in value but ultimately it's worth whatever you are prepared to pay.

5. I'm not up on pricing but it looks to be in good condition.

Now, call me paranoid but I wouldn't ride it home, in fact with (minimum) 4 year old belts and engine having stood most of that time, I wouldn't run the engine (after I'd paid for it) until I'd done the belts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for the advice. Rang DucatiJohn earlier about servicing pricing and advice etc, with the bike only having done 500 miles since service he said I'd be unlucky to have the belts snap on the way to get the bike serviced, even though it's been 4 years.

I asked the seller about a test ride and he was reluctant but kinda said I could, I know the belts need doing but I want to check the gears etc etc before buying the bike. Also, the guy managed to scrape the bike off the garage wall and from this the RH panel has a mark in it (look closely on the pictures, next to one of the fasteners), would it be worth applying some ducati touch up paint or would it come out like an infant colouring inside the lines?

7. Looks very nice but I would checking what else is out there and doing the maths with the cost of the service plus a fresh set of tyres.

Saying that, finding a nice example can make it worth the money if you want one enough as im sure we all know....:Smuggrin:

8. Yeah that's true. I'm quite handy with a spanner and service my R1 trackbike myself so I was looking at doing the easy things to her myself like oil, filter, fluids, plugs etc. DucatiJohn quoted me £180 for the belts fitted. I've got a set of PP2ct waiting as well. Just need to sell my bike first...

9. Looks pretty good to me; I wouldn't hang around if u think it's the one for u. It's not like good 996's are falling off the trees

10. Looks tidy from the pics.

11. Make him an offer. At best the front forks will need an oil change if not a full service, the rear shock would benefit from a service, the front brake calipers will need a service as will the rear caller and you will probably benefit from a new rear master brake cylinder. All of which is likely to add up to £300 but will need doing in the not too distant future because it's been sitting around not being used. You make your choice, you pay your money, to be fair the mechanicals are cheaper to fix than trying to find good bodywork. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Looks stunning and ild pay that for that bike. The servicing stuff is the biggest down side to having a ducati

No other bikes needs it. Ducati scaremongering. Get it bought

13. I wouldn't call it scaremongering as Ducati Coventry guys have always told me the ones that have been used regularly are the best and least hassle in the long run.

They don't seem to take well to being unused for long periods so would defo consider what Andriod853sp says about replacing stuff when considering offer price.Might also want to clean the fuel tank and pump if it been stood for long time with petrol in it.Looks a very clean nice bike still though.

14. Cheers all. I agree with the what people have said about the bike not being used so could be more troublesome than an often ridden one. I've arrange to view the bike tomorrow evening so will give it a good going over and pick the guys brains. Anything this particular model needs looking over?

15. The bargaining points are the belts and the body damage, offer him £4k...

16. He had it up on Evilbay and had 2 offers of 4K. I don't mind putting the time and effort into servicing it myself (apart from belts) but it's the thought of putting even more money into it after I buy it and then for something in the engine to be fooked.

17. Insist on a test ride, the belts will be fine. If they're not fine, don't buy it...

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I had a 996s about 7 years ago. Had 25k on it. Never had an issue. Used all the time, but I'm sure the service costs were no were near what they are now.

Mine needs a major service etc, which it won't be getting due to the outrageous costs,

Buy it, do the belts and then the other bits as funds allow, I'm going to have to

19. Let us know how u get on, remember the 4k offers he has had on ebay aren't stood in front of him with cash in their hands are they?

20. Buy it change the belts oil and filter then run it. They're a lot stronger than you think!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information