Optimate

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by JamieD, Oct 17, 2014.

1. My Mutley has an optimate lead attached and seeing as it is now approaching our 6 month winter here in the Glens of Scotland I intend purchasing an Optimate to hopefully keep not only the battery on the bike in tip top condition, but to ensure that the alarm doesn't run the battery flat and leave me like a bear with a sore head come the end of hibernation time.

So... With there now being 6 models of Optimate I hope some of you who have these devices can offer some tips/suggestions/opinions on what model I should go for. Do I really need the Optimate 6 at around £90 or would the Optimate 4 do just as well and save me some Scottish pennies?

Hai thank yow

2. You really don't need an optimiser for this - there are plenty of float chargers for around £15 to £20. A few of my mates swear that optimisers are not good for the battery if left on all the time. Not sure if any of them actually float charge as well though.
    Float chargers trickle charge then turn off completely, then trickle charge when the battery drops so can't damage...

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have an Optimate and one of these

ALDI - Car Battery Charger

It does just as good a job. I converted the crocodile clips to the Tamiya connectors used by Optimate and it now connects to their fly lead.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Float charging is constant voltage, at a precise voltage that does not overcharge or undercharge the battery, typically at a float voltage of 13.85V for a 12V lead acid battery. The exact voltage changes with temperature. There needs to be a current limit to prevent excessive current if the voltage is applied when the battery is less than fully charged. This is commonly used to keep batteries fully charged, even with changing loads, and deals with a recharging situation (after loss of power) automatically. Usually a periodic "top up charge" is made, perhaps weekly or monthly, in case the float voltage is a little too low. If too high the electrolyte will be consumed more quickly than expected.
    Trickle charging involves reducing the charge current when the battery is deemed to be charged (i.e. above the float voltage). The current is usually reduced to around 1/100 the ampere hour capacity. This maintains the battery in a no load state, but a discharged battery takes a long time to recharge. It does not deal with changing loads, though the trickle can be adjusted to suit a constant load.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I left an optimate 4 on my track bike constantly thinking that was the right thing to do. A brand new battery was knackered inside 6 months. I think the best idea is to pop it on once a fortnight. Anyone with a better technique I'll gladly listen to.

6. Float charger :rolleyes:

7. Yh. I just warm the bike up every week or two at most. Seems to keep my battery ok and obviously gets everything moving, especially the belts.
    Maybe reading the intimate instructions would give me the best method of using it. But that was my experience :(

8. I Optimate every few weeks for 24-36 hrs over the winter months and never had a problem. I wouldn't leave it on permanently.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. I use Optimate, and have suffered no ill effects.
    When it isn't in use I tend to plug the bike in for an evening on a once every week or two basis; no strict regime just when I think about it.
    The Optimates are supposed to stop the battery from sulphuring up and eventually failing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I went for an accumate as there was an old style Optimate connector installed. Bit cheaper than optimate.

11. Oximiser 600 or 900 cheaper and just as good if not better

12. I just give any bike I've not used a blast on the Optimiser when it occurs to me. I'm always interested to watch how quick the charger reports the battery as fully charged - especially the old zzr that has no alarm or immobiliser fitted. It reads charged in minutes as a rule, with the 1198 taking not much longer. Saying that, (when I'm in the country) it's rare that each bike isn't used for a prolonged period, even in winter. I'm not a fan of leaving a bike on charge constantly. It seems pointless, and when I put them on charge I get to uncover them and admire them!
    Oh, and starting a bike just to 'move the belts' and 'let it warm up' goes against nearly all engineering practice I've ever believed. When I do start them up its for decent length ride!
    My opinion only!

13. Charge my 749 on optimate 3 about once a week. Bike has no alarm, and used to charge in about 2-3 hours. I noticed since I had quickshifter added the charging time seems to now take more like 4-5 hours. Didn't think the qs would draw power when bike not running, but poss it does I guess?

14. DoctorW, I've got an old techtronics QS on my bike which I'd connected straight to the battery so even though it wasn't doing anything it was still ON effectively. (Think like a TV in standby mode). I could hear the little beep it makes when you push the lever even with the ignition off. I've since wired it through the ignition. Have a check how your's is powered just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Been out and bought one of these and I must say what a good bit of kit, wacked it on an old dead battery for 3 hours and it's fully charged and working like it never died (was gonna take it to the dump and get rid) but now it's gonna be a spare just in case!

And for £14 is excellent build quality and robust!

#18 Penfold, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Thx for info. I have a Translogic qs on mine - got it fitted at by chaps at Carl Harrison. I did ask re whether it draws a charge as had heard this before but was told that when the bike is off the qs is off also. But I did think that it had been wired to the battery so that may be the answer. I guess no biggie as such, as I think (from my limited understanding of these things) that charging it as is, is just more fully "cycling" the battery. Although I could have that totally wrong lol!! (No mechanic / techy person me!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gonna get one of these if they have any left and see how it goes, certainly would be better than spending x3 or x4 on an Optimate

Cheers for the info guys

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information