1198 Owners Manual For The 1198 - It Won't Start

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Jack Aubrey, Nov 14, 2023.

1. Hi guys

Is there a decent owners manual for the 1198?

We have just moved house and i haven't been out on mine for a few weeks up here in muddy rural Cumbria! It's been on a trickle charger and the mode shows Batt at 12.4 but when i try to start it i get nothing.

Well the head lights go out, but there is literally no sound of the starter motor trying to turn over.

Any thoughts? Ducati 1198.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. What does the battery voltage read when you push the starter ? Anything less than 12v and your battery has failed. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. 12.4V may not be enough to start the bike, i had the same problem when i had my 1198S, as stated above by Andy - test the voltage when trying to start it, those 2 big pistons need some serious oomph.

Mine also had starting problems when hot - usually at petrol stations, but thats another story.:D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I agree if the reading is from a reliable/good quality meter - my 1198 has started many times with the onboard voltmeter showing 11.8 volts even before I press the starter button.

Some people might cautiously decline to do this, but jump leads applied from a car battery (engine must not be running) ought to confirm a battery problem on the bike.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. No fault lights on the dash?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Guys thank you all for your help... on reflection i probably shouldn't have tried to start my bike or posted on the forum...

I had just been told that i have prostate cancer and i'm not sure that my head was in a good place. So much so that i did not see that the bike was in 2nd gear and of course the stand was down as i was starting it in the garage.

Apologies for the effort and time you took to respond (as this great forum always does) i went in to the garage this morning and on turning the key saw that the neutral light was not on, popped it out of gear and it started. i then just stood there (garage door open) and listened to the music (engine).

Shit times but so glad and lucky that i pushed my Medical Practice for a PSA test. You can read about it here:

On Friday morning last week I was diagnosed with prostate cancer- this scene from Blackadder kept coming to mind.

I went to Spain in May for 5 days on the motorcycle track. While there I had dinner with a group of men, also in their 50’s, some of whom had survived prostate cancer. They convinced me to get tested. My local doctor’s medical practice were reluctant at first as I had no symptoms, but we did the test and then an MRI, DRE and finally a surgical biopsy.

If you or someone you love is in their 50’s and he has not been tested then share this with them. I too made a note in my diary, it does simply say “bugger” but I’m so glad I know now and that my surgery is now being scheduled.

Together we can beat cancer.
    #prostatecanceruk
    [​IMG]
    Blackadder bugger
    youtube.com

Thanks again and thanks for the links to the user manuals

• Like Like x 4
  7. Hello.
    Sorry to hear about your circumstances.
    If you still need an 1198 Owners Manual, I have a pdf copy of the official Ducati version with part number: cod 913.7.139.1R.
    I have tried to upload it to this post, but it failed because the original file is too large at ~6.6MB and failed again for the same reason with a compressed version at ~ 4.9MB.
    If you have a facility to receive a file of this size, please let me know and I'll attempt to send it.
    Good luck with things.
    Tom.

#9 RTD, Nov 15, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Thanks Tom,

i should be able to receive that via email if you could PM me (not sure if i can as i'm still fairly new - but will try) then i will send my email address.

Edit: I have started a conversation with you....

Again, thanks very much!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wishing you well Jack.

I added a link to one online. If that’s no good the site has a few others.

Best wishes

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Guys thanks so much for all the supportive messages, hugely appreciated but honestly not why i posted. I'm coming to terms with the diagnosis (slowly) but more than anything i am struck with how random the whole thing has been. No symptoms. Feel so lucky and just want to try and share that with others! Hope that makes sense.

11. Hey Jack
    Just been through all that my self in the last month
    But I’m lucky I suspose mine is benign
    But I have symptoms ! there just keeping an eye on mine,chin up buddy I’m sure it will turn out ok they treat these Ones all the the time with great success, get out on the bike and you forget about everything !

Do Not Sell My Personal Information