749 Paddock Stands

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by peter walker, Mar 31, 2024.

1. Ok so the new persons question begin
    Paddock stands for a 749 what’s best or best value pics appreciated

2. I didn’t use paddocks stands preferring a Abbas Skylift for working on my bikes.

3. Depends which swingarm it has - grey cast or black fabricated.

4. Black fabricated swing arm 2006 , budget will be tight if I buy the bike, so a good for the price is needed

5. Harris are great. One can pick them up on Ebay often - that's where I got mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. So been away from bikes as you can tell, do I need bobins for rear what about front stands?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cheers sev and everyone for there input
    If I buy the bike three will be so many more daft questions

8. Being realistic you won't get a MK2 with the black swingarm for the sub 3k budget you have

9. I agree, it’s meant I have had to borrow a bit more but hopefully it’s worth it will keep people up dated , if I can sleep tonight

• Like Like x 3
  10. That’s a great feeling, hope everything works out for you, enjoy!:upyeah::)

• Like Like x 1
  11. +4 Harris again for me. Very handy this weekend when removing both rims.

IMG_4045.jpeg IMG_4043.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nice bike , makes mine look a bit rough , ordered a rear stand and front to follow
    Love the single seat , I want to replace mine eventually

• Like Like x 1
  13. You can use cups rather than fit bobbins if you don’t have natural fitting point for them but bobbins way better.

14. I have bobbins on the rear , nothing on the front

15. I far prefer the under headstock type front stands as the bike is far more stable being supported above the COG.

But on the non-Ohlins 749/999 range the lower yoke is not drilled to take the pin.
    It's easy enough to drill, I did mine on my Pillar drill with the yoke out of the bike, but can be done with a hand drill and the mudguard removed if you are careful.

BUT, the lower yoke material is really thin in the bottom there, so the stand pin will go through the hole you've drilled then twist backwards and not support the bike properly.
    The solution is to machine a sleeve about an inch or so long to drop down the stem tube that obviously fits down the tube, but is also drilled for the pin.
    If it's a loose fit down the hole you have to be carful not to just push it upwards with the stand pin.
    I put a small amount of epoxy round mine when I dropped it down to hold it in place. Not too much, so I can knock it back out again easily if I need to.

The other solution is obviously to drill out the bottom of the yoke to the same diameter as the ID of the stem, but that's quite a big hole, and you may need to turn up a bigger pin for the stand anyway.

16. Sounds fun, I may try the fork end type and see how it goes

#16 peter walker, Apr 2, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  17. And Yes, the Black swingarm should already be drilled and tapped for bobbins to use a rear stand.

18. A Bursig frame stand is worth every penny.

19. A pair now ordered

20. For front stand options: Check your bottom yoke, not only the Rs had the hole as standard. Mine did.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information