1199 Panigale R.

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by pauly, May 8, 2024.

1. Coming from a 1299 S to a Gen 2 Panigale R would the R feel like hard work as a road bike. I get the R flies at higher revs, but realistically it's spending a lot more time under than over 8k revs.

2. I've had the 1199S and G2 Pani R and didn't notice a big difference. Your 1299S has more torque than my 1199S so maybe not a good comparison. I prefer the suspension on the R, but that's a personal thing, some prefer the constantly adapting electronic suspension of the S. It's no different on butt cheek burning, if spending a lot of time under 60mph you'll know feeling.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I just wonder if they are a bit like a V4 R, and require an engine refresh periodically.

4. Depends how you use them. It’s something like big checks at 1500 miles (???) if you’re using it racing.

I expect it would be harder work than a 1299. It’s designed to be thrashed.

5. I think Ducati quote shorter service cycles for any of their MCs used on track, whether they are Rs, Ss or Std models.

If used on the road the G2 Pani V2 has the same service intervals and requirements as the V2S. V4Rs have quite different engines to the V4S and Std.

6. The difference in price now, between a good 1299S and a Panigale R is around the second hand price of a full Akra system. Which the Pani R already has. I think there was mention on here, of the big service on an R being at 7.5k miles rather than 15k? Now I know using the bike on the road is different to track use, but there's not much point in having an R for the road, unless you're going to make use of the extra revs through the gears occasionally.

7. Very different suspension

8. While I will be glad of buyers at some point for my pani R, I really cant see the point in one for the road.
    They have less torque than the S and all of the addictive rush is so far up the revs that you are already off to jail.
    Nice bikes to look at and own, but nonsense for the street.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for the opinions, it's easy to be seduced by one of the best version of a bike, but it seems a 1299S makes more sense for a road bike. I almost bought one last week, but the extended warranty had some terrible reviews and it definitely needed remapping.

#9 pauly, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
  10. In what way? I thought it was the same units just electronic and manual adjustment. Potentially valving set up internally?

11. Ones manual. Ones electronic. Very different.

12. When it comes to the manually adjusted Ohlins v the semi active versions, I get that the manual stuff is perhaps more consistent when set up for and used on track. But for use on less than smooth roads, the active shocks make more sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I think with the state of British roads the r is too stiff and like most say you’re in jail territory using them as they should be, flat out! I loved mine but swapped for a SF.

14. Same here. Wonderful bike, swapped for SFV4S

• Like Like x 1
  15. I read that Ducati state the 1299R engine requires a Desmo service at 7500 miles, for road use. Is this the same for the Panigale R engine?

16. i just did a medium service on my R at 7500 miles, plugs, coolant, air filter, fluids.

next service is at 15k miles. ( though it gets an oil change every year).

17. It's on the Ducati page for the 1299 FE, it states valve check at 7500m, road use. Isn't the Panigale R engine similar spec to the 1299 FE engine.

18. It’s a different engine (1299) it’s the same as a SL I think…

but the owners manual still says 15k for an FE.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information