V2 Panigale V2 - Good Everyday Sport Option?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Sidney Post, Oct 2, 2020.

1. A true SuperSport 'race' bike and my back and wrists are not compatible. Looking at online reviews I see a lot of talk that makes it seem like a 'race bike' and more that makes it seem a cheaper softer 'sport bike'.

Is the Panigale V2 something that has a more 'standard' upright riding position? I'm thinking of something more along the lines of a Yamaha MT-10 type riding position. I like sharp steering and the gorgeous looks of the Panigale V2 but, I want something I can 'tour' on so, weight on my shoulders and wrists or a far forward lean that is hard on my back are not options.

A Monster or Multistrada seems like an easy choice but, the Panigale really looks like an attractive option. The "any road' feature of the Multistrada is not something I will use enough to be the top choice. The Monsters are attractive but, they just don't seem like long-distance machines for touring to me and lack much wind protection.

Heat in 'stop and go' traffic in the big city is certainly an issue with the Panigale but, a more effortless and sporty riding experience on the open road is intoxicating! Like the Yamaha FJR, I'm a little concerned that a Multistrada is not as connected to the road and lacks the exhilaration an inline-four 1-liter modern engine has. The Yamaha MT-10 'hair on fire' engine is wonderful but, the rest of the package is a bit lacking IMHO.

So, how does the Panigale V2 compare to a modern 'Hyper-Naked' or outright touring machine? I don't need the biggest horsepower or fastest quarter-mile or race track velocity but, I also want something that has impressive torque and horsepower for the street, not race track, use (I don't care about top end max horsepower but, I do care about broad flat torque curves from idle to pretty high revs).

TIA,
    Sid

2. #2 damodici, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. The V2 is a proper sports bike.

You need to look at the SuperSport for a more VFR experience.

4. If your desperate for a Ducati a Monster, Scrambler or Multistrada would be something to look at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. As others have said, V2 is a proper sportsbike, look at the Supersport, that would be the one for ergonomics ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Unfortunately, the closest Ducati dealer is ~3 hours away and the other one is ~6 hours away. :(

I've been reading about them and watching YouTube videos which talked them up a lot as a 'soft' sports bike, not an outright supersport track weapon.

7. Those cycle-ergo.com graphics are super helpful.
    :upyeah:

Wish they had the V2 dimensions though.

#7 Sidney Post, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  8. Thanks! Personal experience is better than a lot of brag-worthy sponsored internet reviews.

9. You can tour on a V2. Just keep it above 170km/h and the weight comes off the wrists :joy:

But as far as sportbike comfort, its probably one of the most comfortable sportbikes there is.
    Still a hardcore sports bike that will murder your wrists in traffic though.

10. Is it something you could do 50MPH (~80KmPH) without problems? I live in a rural area so, heavy urban traffic is generally something I won't see other than traveling on the Interstate or other 'large' roads passing through on my way between travel destinations. Interstate and 'large' road speeds will generally be 70 or 75MPH here in Texas.

Trips and use:
    I'm thinking rural Texas to the Grand Canyon or the East Coast (Southern part most likely)? And likely more frequent runs on rural two-lanes to Central Texas BBQ joints as a more frequent example. And, add some "Sunny Day" rides to the grocery store or local lake or simply cruising along looking at the scenery.

I'm probably really looking at two different motorcycles but, right now two 'road' bikes isn't a viable option though I might pick up a used Suzuki DR-650 or something similar for slow rural rides.

11. I should also note I demo'ed a Yamaha FJR and while it was a superb Interstate mile muncher and handled effortlessly, it was dull dull dull. Absolutely no motorcycle passion for me as I might as well have been napping in a recliner in my living room. :rolleyes:

What can I say, I also buy cars with Manual transmissions as I want to be an active participant and feel a little passion while in the driver's seat! :heart_eyes:

12. Sounds to me like the Supersport is the bike for you based on preference for sporty comfort mix. I find my V2 comfortable ‘for a sportsbike’ which if really is. When it’s referred to as soft In reviews I believe it’s because it’s power delivery (especially in road setting) is very forgiving and smooth

13. You really need that test ride to understand what the guys are trying to tell you.

All sports bikes are designed to sit you with your weight tipped forwards over the bars and if your aren’t accelerating then your weight is heavily on your wrists. The V2 Panigale is definitely one of these bikes and is nothing like an MT10 - if anything with it’s higher seat and slightly dropped front then it’s more aggressive than the 1299 in it’s riding position.

Some people have a greater tolerance for the comfort - or lack thereof and say you can tour on one or use it as a daily ride, but in reality they are very focused machines that work best at full chat on a track.

At the speeds you are talking about on the road then you will get far more riding enjoyment out of a naked bike. I find the Supersport a bit insipid - very capable and all that but it’s not going to inspire you.

For those barbeque joint blasts that will make up most of your riding - get something that allows you to feel the wind!

If you get practical bike as a compromise to cover all of your riding needs then that’s the practical decision - but since when has practical been fun?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Upcoming Streetfighter V2 might just be the perfect bike for him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. You are getting a lot of excellent advice on this thread. Sounds like the v2 would not really suit your needs. Super sport would but I have never ridden one. I have heard reasonably good reports though. A street fighter would be ideal IMHO. Fast, fun and full of character.

16. Go and test ride the bikes
    i tested a 959 which was in my price range but couldnt bear with the position dealer had a v2 sat on it & straight knew it was better for me i have s1000xr for touring my duc for twisties r9t for 5onw cruising

17. If you're not planning to go more than 75mph, why not a Monster? Something like a 796 or is it a 795? Anyway, the (air-cooled) 803 engine with the SSA & high, twin exhaust.
    Oh, and you have missed out the Hyperstrada...

18. I really like the looks and setup of the 821 Monster but, I'm a bit tired of the windblast on my chest. While I don't think I will ever do 100MPH on a motorcycle, with a 75MPH speed limit on the interstate 80~85MPH is likely when running with normal traffic. There is always the off chance of a road rage incident, which happened once with a semi-truck on I-40 and I was surprised he was gaining on me while doing ~110MPH so, I ended up doing ~130MPH in a Mercury Grand Marquis (Ford Crown Victoria clone) to put some space between us so I could safely exit the Interstate.

This is the main reason I'm looking for something more than 650cc's with a small windscreen. I'm looking for a reasonably high redline with a good torque curve. Price and feature-wise, as one example, a brand new Honda CB-650R vs. CB-1000R are only separated by a $1,000USD so, the 43hp extra is attractive there. A semi-sport fairing is good for taking wind pressure off my chest for long sections of interstate cruising. If I get a naked, I think I would like the Monster 821 over the KTM Duke 790/890 or the various Japanese options. Naked luggage and windscreen options are limited and unsightly, at least what I'm aware of.

Perhaps I need to reconsider the Multistrada 950 but, that puts me into Panigale V2 money, and to be honest who doesn't want a Ducati pseudo-race bike under them? I still regret not getting the 748 SuperSport many many years ago when I was younger with a better back and neck for a good race crouch.

On country roads, I really like my Kawasaki KLX-250S. It is super light and flickable with a long travel enduro suspension setup for my riding weight. It is a shear joy to do 45MPH on a rural road with cows grazing and tractors haying, all while enjoying the smell of fresh mowed pasture and roadside BBQ joints.

This one is something for faster asphalt and more touring style rides with some sporty adventures on distant roads with a limited amount of luggage while traveling. I have considered getting a little 300~400cc naked or sporty motorcycle to carry in my pickup and unload when I get to a National Park or some other scenic destination. However, I really don't want to deal with loading and unloading a motorcycle.

Finally, I'm really trying to avoid the Dual-Sport or Adventure motorcycle options. I don't need RTW "Walter Mitty" adventures on an overly heavy and overly off-road focused motorcycle. I have both the little Kaswaski and the KTM 450XCW for off-road adventures!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Are you only interested in new ? If used is an option see if you can find a Hyperstrada, awesome halfway house between the Monster and the Multi, good power, good ergonomics and great luggage option, I ran one for 3 years commuting in and out of London with the motorway (highway) speeds being c85mph and it was great, real fun when out in the back roads too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  20. Still haven't answered anyone's suggestions... Again, Supersport, as many others have suggested, although one part of your reply I'm slightly confused by "I'm looking for a reasonably high redline with a good torque curve."

The two things generally don't really go together by default, as in, normally engines are made to rev at the expense of toque, it's rare to get both, as demonstrated by the new Fireblade having limited down low torque and the S1000rr using shift cam to try and solve the issue.

The supersport probably still revs to 11,500rpm at a guess, but with good useable torque, great chassis and some wind protection but high bars. Failing this, try a Triumph Street Triple 765, they have revs and superb linear torque delivery.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information