Pass Light/Switch not working

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by jangol, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Hi,

My pass light doesnt work. when I press on the button nothing happens??

Full beam works, so I know the lights are fine...

Any ideas what it may be??

Regards
    JA

2. JA

What bike?

Its quite common for the Flash function to take its power directly from the fusebox through the switch to the lamp. Where on more modernish Ducatis the Lo/Hi comes through the dash/relay first. So its will be the switch or the supply to the Flash button before the switch as an educated guess.

Tell me the bike, or better if you got a link to a wiring diagram, I'll take a quick look to see if I can offer some more direct info.

As a first though defo check all the fuses (i know that's a lame reply but it just might be the issue)

John

3. Hi,

Its a 2003 749bp... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks thus far John

4. Hi JA

Seems similar to a 999 I was helping a guy with on here a while back. Check the 20A fuse, if its like the 999 they are in the headlamp module. Check to see if the horn works if it does then its probably not the fuse as it is fed from the same fuse.

Obviously check the connector is properly seated and the contacts clean. Pin 2 should be a Red/Yellow wire. That is the feed from the fusebox to the Pass button, it should have +12 on it with ignition on. If the lights work and the Hi/Lo functions normally, then its the switch.

To check the switch check continuity across Pin 2 (Red/Yellow) and Pin 4 (Yellow/Black), with the Flash button Off and On, using either a multi meter or a test bulb. It should be closed, or the test bulb should light when the button is pressed.

Be interested to know how you get on when you find the time to check it

John

5. Definately a common problem, I had it on my 749, think it was one of the relays that needed cleaning/replacing - think it was the one at the bottom behind the radiator. My memory isnt what it used to be - there was a thread on ducatisti with the answer.

6. If it was the 20A fuse, you wouldn't be able to start the bike. From memory, the starter solenoid, passing light, horn and front-brake light switch circuits all share the same fuse, located, as has been said, in the headlight module housing.

If the other items on that circuit I mentioned are all working, your're looking at the switch in the handle-bar module, or a faulty wire connected to it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JA

Loz is correct, I rechecked the circuit and it does feed the starter solenoid, so if you can start the bike its not the fuse.

I don't think its the headlamp relay, that relay is only used for switching the lights on and off via the Hi/Lo selector switch. Its used to switch off the headlamp when the ignition is left switched on but the bike not started after a period of time. The relay is controlled by the instrument cluster.

The power for the flash function comes directly from the fuse.

So I'd check the switch module, as Loz also said, its either the wire feeding the switch, the connector or most likely the switch itself.

John

8. jangol, find the connector for the pass switch assembly (10 way connector according to my circuit diagram). If you don't have meter spend a tenner and get a basic digital multimeter. With the ignition on you should get 12v on the engine side of that connector at pin 2 (red/yellow wire). Next set the meter to beep on continuity and check for continuity between pins 2 and 4 on the switch assy side of the connector. When the pass button is pressed this should make make the meter beep as the switch contacts close. If it does not beep your switch is dodgy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cheers for all the help... Got a few options to try..

Will give it a go & the wknd...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information